Help! First time hatching!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PigsandPoultry, Mar 14, 2017.

1. PigsandPoultry

PigsandPoultry Just Hatched

Mar 27, 2016
    Fenton, MI
    Long story short.... Lost two chicks we didn't even know had hatched, presuming the cold (in Michigan), one still under momma hen was still damp and so brought it inside to dry and warm up, momma hen still has lots of eggs she's sitting in!!! Her and another where sharing the box.... And so we have a few different stages all should be hatching in a day or two (I hope).
    One egg got kicked out and got to cold when we were collecting the first three, and momma kicked it out again. Brought it inside and put it in the incubator with the duck eggs we started . They are in day 4 now. Cranked humidity, figured early in the Bator would be ok for the ducks, since I expected this little to hatch soon. Rigged spot so egg is NOT turning with the rest.
    Well.... Internal pip was yesterday around noon. External pip was today around 10am. Hole is about 1cmx1.5cm still moving, chirping, but not seeing the "zipper".
    Could it be malpositioned?
    Should I intervene?

Question 2: the little one we brought inside, now has a buddy who hatched under momma tonight, I also brought this little inside terrified of the Sub-Zero temps today and tomorrow.
    Big bro/sis (by 2 days) wants to pick on it. I separated for now with another small basket inside the brooder, is that normal behavior? I was gonna let the little chickie get is strength before trying to put them together again.
    Thanks in advance for the help and advice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    An egg or I should say chick, can take up to 24 hours to progress from pip to zip. I would not attempt to intervene before 18-24 hours after pip unless there seems to be something drastically wrong. And then if there are any veins or blood do not proceed because it's not ready.
    Yes, older chicks that have been separated and put back have chances of bullying.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    And : :welcome

4. ethieandco

ethieandco Just Hatched

Mar 14, 2017
    Needville, Texas
    From looking at the pip, I wouldn't worry about it at all. They can take SO long to decide they are ready to zip on out of there, but if you help them before hand you will end up with a bloody little babe. They need every last second in that egg.

As for reintroducing the babies to their siblings, I wait until they are dried, fluffed, and up and running around. The bullying is very normal. I like to place the youngest chick beneath a wire basket (so they can still see each other) until the older ones lose interest. I have had great results so far.

Good luck and keep us posted!

1 person likes this.
  5. PigsandPoultry

Mar 27, 2016
    Fenton, MI

Thanks for that advice! I figured being a loner for two days with these big bald faced kids (4,11,14) watching over it... It's kinda feeling like the boss!!! I think I have a wire basket I can use.

One last question, will momma take these guys back when everyone else has hatched out? Or do I have house guests for the next 5 weeks?

6. PigsandPoultry

Mar 27, 2016
    Fenton, MI

Thanks for that... I couldn't find a good answer on the pip to zip timeline, and whether that meant internal pip or external pip....
    Now I know!

7. ethieandco

ethieandco Just Hatched

Mar 14, 2017
    Needville, Texas
    If she is still sitting in the same spot, you shouldn't have too much trouble. Wait until it's night time and she has her babies underneath her, then tuck the others in from behind. Check on them first thing in the morning to make sure she has taken to them. You may want to put a heat lamp in there as well, so that they can stay warm if she kicks them out. It isn't a 100% guarantee, but she should take to them just fine.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If she is setting and Hatching in a nest box off the ground?....You should have her in a brooder so she can hatch out her Chicks and care for them....I never intervene when Hatching under a Broody Hen.. I put her and the eggs in a nest inside a dog crate in my garage and open the door of the crate in the morning so she can eat , drink, and poop.....

Best wishes.....:)

Cheers!

9. PigsandPoultry

Mar 27, 2016
    Fenton, MI
    She is in a brooder coop alongside the main coop, (on the left, alpaca pen on the right) I put up a wind break and put a heat lamp out there, did and water that chicks could get access to. Under the lamp is warmer than the rest, but it's a barn that's over 100 years old, so it's super drafty[​IMG]

Ok... It's the next morning... And e have toes and a beak, lots of chirping!!! But still no zipper....[​IMG]

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Roll the egg so the hole is on the other side. Not upside down though...They zip counter clockwise....Hope that makes sense?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by