Help...first time hatching

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hholzschu, Mar 20, 2013.

1. hholzschu

hholzschu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    Michigan
    So two chicks hatched today while I was at work. They both appear to be doing fine and stand up walk a bit and fall over then fall asleep. During hatching and in walking they have managed to move the rest of the eggs to one corner of the incubator. What do I do with these eggs do I move them or let them be?

Also I have my brooder all set up but when do I move these chicks to the brooder? I have to work tomorrow and am gone for 12 hours so I don't want to move them and then have to go to work.

I've read conflicting reports some say to move them after six hours others say to move them after 24 hours. Help please and Thanks!

2. kentuckygirl1

kentuckygirl1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Irvine, Kentucky
    I always move mine into the brooder after they dry or as soon as they start walking more than sleeping! lol..they are gonna bounce around and move the eggs regardless of what you do .. but I always keep my eggs marked and never leave the house on hatch days so I can put the eggs back the way they were.I guess some ppl leave the babies in the incubator for 24 hours I just have never done that. Just be careful as the others hatch out and you add them to the ones that can walk and are completly awake. They will peck and pick on the new baby everytime.I use a small shoe box inside the brooder under the light and put a cloth over one end so it can get away from the heat light if needed and dont add the new chick until it is walking good and awake. Hope this helps, this is just how I do it. [​IMG]

3. hholzschu

May 23, 2012
    Michigan
    Thanks KYGirl.

My wife went to bed so the chicks are in the incubator for the night. I told her if she has some time before work and letting the other critters out of the barn to move them and have her mother come over and watch them for the day.

Good advice and I think it is an Art not a Science so whatever works do it!

We are excited or eggcited. We had 5 growing Polish chickens eggs and 2 whatever eggs (out of a dozen) from the local health food store. We are trying to increase the flock and maybe sell some eggs to the summer residents who live by us. It's not going to be a big money maker but hey the eggs are fresh and better than the store's and they will buy and eat them because of it. I know I would.

4. hholzschu

May 23, 2012
    Michigan
    Can an admin move this thread to the incubating forum area?

Thanks

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I leave my chicks in the bator for up to 72 hours, or until all the hatching has finished. Everytime you open the lid on the incubator you're loosing precious humidity, which will make the hatching process more difficult for the ones that are still working on it. After the chicks hatch, they have a built in supply of food- the yolk. It takes them a while to absorb it, up to 72 hours (which is why hatchery chicks can spend 3 days in a shipping box with no food or water and still survive the journey).
    As for the eggs rolling around, leave them. The humidity is more important than righting the eggs. Next time you incubate, try hatching in paper egg cartons. It prevents the other chicks from playing soccer with the eggs and makes clean up MUCH easier. Don't reuse the carton though, the bacteria can and will kill your next batch. Cut a hole in the bottom of each cup so the eggs get airflow. Works like a charm :)
    Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by