HELP! First time incubating eggs...found duck egg

glisteningpearl

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
For starters, my son and I found a lone duck egg at our neighborhood park last week. I am unfamiliar with duck eggs, so right off the bat, I thought it was fake because of its odd placement.

We took it home, consulted my knowledgable neighbor, who confirmed it was real.

I have since made a homemade incubator, temperature pretty much stabilized ( still fluctuates when I open and close it to turn the egg). Two days ago, we noticed a small but distinct heartbeat, and the next morning, some very clear veins.

The veins are not spreading all over the egg like the ones in the pictures I have seen. My question: If the egg looks pretty much the same for 2 days, but there is no prominent "ring of death" and doesn't smell, is it possible it is just taking a while to get started? ??

Please help!

I don't want to get too attached to this potential little life.

Thank you so much!!

I should note, it is very hard to see the heartbeat now. I wear glasses and it is hard to see the ever so slight "pulse" but others have sworn they saw it....not clear at all.

It should be fine. You won't be able to tell a difference everyday. Wait for a while, and if it get bigger, it is alive, if it doesn't get bigger than is is most likely dead. If it is dead, then the veins will most likely drop to the bottom. Good Luck :D

Thank you. That makes me feel a little bit better. I will try my best to refrain from candling it in the meantime....I will try to take a picture possibly next time I do happen to candle it.

Pictures of the egg. any more feedback PLEASE?? It has since started to move somewhat freely in the egg. Veins have not progressed and no visible pulse or heart but not prominent sign of death either. HELP

I promise to not touch it for the next few days, only to turn it, that is it!! that is promising knowing the veins go away if they die...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Back
Top Bottom