1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! First time to incubate duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by feathersInfirst, May 12, 2016.

1. feathersInfirst

feathersInfirst Just Hatched

May 12, 2016
    Lubbock, Texas
    I took some eggs from our ducks at home and we are incubating them in my first grade classroom. We are on day 29/30 depending on when you start counting (I have seen many different opinions on that). We have 4 that have hatched and one that has been going at it for 2 1/2 days now! None of the other 8 eggs have even externally pipped yet :( I was so careful to keep the temperature and humidity perfect throughout the whole incubation period! I candled the eggs a couple days before lockdown and they were all doing great and wriggling around! What could have gone wrong?? Should I give them another couple days or so? Our two drakes are a runner and a mallard. And our hens are runners, mallards, and a rouen. Do rouens take a bit longer since they are bigger ducks? Any advice would be appreciated!

2. feathersInfirst

May 12, 2016
    Lubbock, Texas
    Anyone??

3. Sristi

Sristi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2015
    Western NY
    Duck eggs can be pretty tough to hatch. If the one pipped 2 days ago and shows no more progress, it's probably dead. You can candle to make sure, or pick it up and listen for peeping sounds. For the rest, I'd pull them out and candle them. If they're still alive, you'll see the duckling inside moving around. otherwise, if it's past 28 days and they haven't even pipped, they've probably died.
    I'm sorry this has been such a disappointing hatch for you. It's rough to wait for four weeks and not get the results you hoped for. [​IMG]

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    When you candled last you saw movement yes? Any sign of an internal pip?

5. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    What kind of ducks?

6. feathersInfirst

May 12, 2016
    Lubbock, Texas
    I candled them last week before lockdown and there was movement in all of the eggs but no internal pipping at that point. I finally had to help the one today that's been trying to hatch for four days. I had been moistening the egg all morning. I think we have too much calcium in our water at home so the shells were extra tough. It's doing ok now!! It's crawling around in the incubator and peeping! But I think it may have a broken leg :( do you know if there's anything I can do to help it?? It seems really healthy other than that. We've named it Trooper for being such a trooper! As for the other eight eggs, we are now on day 31 and I see no movement. Some of them look like they have bruising on the inside, and I know that's not a good thing.

7. feathersInfirst

May 12, 2016
    Lubbock, Texas
    Our hens are rouens, runners, and mallards. Our drakes that fertilized them are a mallard and a runner.

8. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop

Sometimes after hatch they have some leg weirdness. Key an eye on it for lack of progress in the next day or so.

9. jessicanickell

jessicanickell Just Hatched

Jul 22, 2016
    For duck eggs that aren't Muscovy, when do you stop the hatch. Today is day 28 for me. 3 of 6 hatched yesterday and nothing today, no pips. Should I give another day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by