HELP!! First timer of chick incubation and blood bubble at first pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gracelee, Jun 7, 2016.

1. gracelee

gracelee New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    I'm not sure exactly when this happened. Had to have been late last night or early morning. I noticed this morning at 8am when I checked on it again at 4 pm until now nothing has happened and no movement. In wondering if this is bad or if I should leave it.

2. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    This is my first hatch, too. So i am hoping someone with more experience will chime in. I just had 3 of my 4 hatch, and the inside of the eggs were a bit bloody, maybe just some of that coming out with the pip? How is it going?

3. gracelee

gracelee New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    This is my first hatch, too. So i am hoping someone with more experience will chime in. I just had 3 of my 4 hatch, and the inside of the eggs were a bit bloody, maybe just some of that coming out with the pip? How is it going?[/quote

4. gracelee

gracelee New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    I got a warm wet rag and put it in the rag and gently wiped (probably shouldn't have) and oddly enough the blood spot went away and no pip hole under it.. It makes no since why there was blood in the first place if the pip wasn't happening.. So I'm stumped.
    If you're are hatched and doing fine the red stuff is the membranes or veins leftover. Totally normal I'm sure.

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I haven't hatched in years so hopefully someone it more recent experience will peep in shortly....How much blood are you talking about (gracelee), alot or just a trace? carolinasculpture - how are the chicks that hatched? Pictures help BYC members see what you are....

6. gracelee

gracelee New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    None hatched yet.. I check this morning (8am) and saw blood spot that looked like a jelly ball stuck on the shell where pip should occur left it till about an hour ago and wiped it off and there was no pip or crack anywhere. No clue where the jelly like substance came from.

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Are you saying there is blood at the pip hole? If so, then the chick probably nicked or pipped through a vein in the membrane when it made the pip. Is the pip in the air cell or is it a malpositioned pip? This is more common with malpositioned pips because they are pipping in a more heavily veined area at the time of pip.

8. gracelee

gracelee New Egg

Jun 7, 2016

9. gracelee

gracelee New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    I thought there was a pip hole due to the blood spot when wiped there was no hole at all
    Also noticed there's clear fluid coming out of the little pores on egg very slowly what does this mean

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's not a good sign. Stinkers and leakers should be pulled out. A seeping egg is not a good egg. It runs a risk of having bacteria in it and they run a risk of exploding. You are sure it's coming from the egg and not condensation from high humidity? It's the only egg that is doing this? What day are your eggs on? I'd pull it and candle it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by