Help! fish hook in waddle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ricky bamboo, Feb 14, 2009.

1. ricky bamboo

ricky bamboo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Roseville, Ontario.
    I went to put my girls back in the coop (after a day of ranging in the yard and shed) to find a fishing jighead and hook hanging from one of their waddles. i thought that i could just push the hook through, past the barb, and then snip it off with needlenose, but the barb end is actually through the waddle and into the neck meat. i snipped off the jighead end as the other birds were pecking at it, but now am left with the hook and barb (about a 1/2 inch piece) still stuck in.
    what should i do? i feel bad for her, although she seems indifferent.
    thanks for your help.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    How deep is it? If it's superficial you could cut the skin and pull it out. If it's deeper you're stuck with driving it through. Good luck.

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    If it past the barb, push it on thru, she'll be fine.

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Could you push it through in a way to make it come back out? After all, you can't leave it in there. You might need help restraining your bird and be sure to clean the wound with betadine tea or saline solution. You'll be limited as to what you can do. But chicken heal remarkably well.

5. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Yep, you'll have to grasp the end with a pair of pliers and push it in a curve through the muscle and out again.

6. ricky bamboo

Sep 3, 2008
    Roseville, Ontario.
    how deep can i safely cut her? it's not that far into her, but it's been bleeding (probably for a few hours) and kinda gross. this is not really the kind of thing that i wanna do - what do you think the vet would charge? probably lot's more than the bird is worth in a year of eggs!

7. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    My vet charges $39.00 for the office visit alone, and his rates are good compared to most!
    So you might just have to "man up" and do it! Really you can. Get someone to help you.

8. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Pushing it on thru would be less painful and quicker. I can about bet you that is what the vet would do. And they will charge a pretty penny. My son hooked me in the back last summer. I had to get my Dad, to push it on thru. Its not real bad. As far as cutting her, you can cut her wattle as deep as you need to.

9. ricky bamboo

Sep 3, 2008
    Roseville, Ontario.
    okay okay... I man'ed up and did it. pushed the hook through and we were both relieved! went really easy, actually! thanks for all the fast replies! what an educated group!
    thanks again. problem solved!

10. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Glad to hear it went well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by