Help! fish hook in waddle

ricky bamboo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
Roseville, Ontario.
I went to put my girls back in the coop (after a day of ranging in the yard and shed) to find a fishing jighead and hook hanging from one of their waddles. i thought that i could just push the hook through, past the barb, and then snip it off with needlenose, but the barb end is actually through the waddle and into the neck meat. i snipped off the jighead end as the other birds were pecking at it, but now am left with the hook and barb (about a 1/2 inch piece) still stuck in.
what should i do? i feel bad for her, although she seems indifferent.
thanks for your help.

Last edited:
How deep is it? If it's superficial you could cut the skin and pull it out. If it's deeper you're stuck with driving it through. Good luck.

Could you push it through in a way to make it come back out? After all, you can't leave it in there. You might need help restraining your bird and be sure to clean the wound with betadine tea or saline solution. You'll be limited as to what you can do. But chicken heal remarkably well.

Yep, you'll have to grasp the end with a pair of pliers and push it in a curve through the muscle and out again.

how deep can i safely cut her? it's not that far into her, but it's been bleeding (probably for a few hours) and kinda gross. this is not really the kind of thing that i wanna do - what do you think the vet would charge? probably lot's more than the bird is worth in a year of eggs!

My vet charges $39.00 for the office visit alone, and his rates are good compared to most!
So you might just have to "man up" and do it! Really you can. Get someone to help you.

Pushing it on thru would be less painful and quicker. I can about bet you that is what the vet would do. And they will charge a pretty penny. My son hooked me in the back last summer. I had to get my Dad, to push it on thru. Its not real bad. As far as cutting her, you can cut her wattle as deep as you need to.

okay okay... I man'ed up and did it. pushed the hook through and we were both relieved! went really easy, actually! thanks for all the fast replies! what an educated group!
thanks again. problem solved!

Glad to hear it went well.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom