Help fixing differing weights during duck egg incubation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DuckityLove77, Apr 23, 2019.

1. DuckityLove77

DuckityLove77 Chirping

Apr 23, 2018
    Wheaton, IL
    We are incubating duck eggs for the second time. Last round we had a good hatch rate (20 of 22 eggs with some assistance) with Rouens just watching air cell size and adjusting humidity. This time we have Indian Runners, Calls and 1 Rouen and we have been weighing the eggs starting on Day 1, Day 10 and Day 17. Some eggs are progressing well with weight loss while others are lagging. Is there anything to be done for those that are falling behind?
    The Rouen/Indian Runners average 7% weight loss, with a low of 3% and high of 10% at Day 17 in a 28/28.5 day expected incubation period.
    The Calls are averaging 10% weight loss on Day 17 for an expected 26 day incubation period.
    Side note: We have a second incubator so we can move the Calls to their own incubator for lock down since they are supposed to hatch a few days earlier than the other breeds.
    My daughter literally reads books to these eggs each day, hand turns them 3x/day and we just want to do the best we can for every duckling, so your advice is welcome!

2. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    I found putting a new sponge in helps absorbs some extra humidity. But I am not that great at getting humidity lower. But with less humidity the eggs should draw down more.

DuckityLove77 likes this.
  3. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    I never did hatching by weight. I always did it by size of air cell. I can’t really say how to fix weight. But likely take out as much moisture as possible from the incubator and run it dry for several days. Hopefully someone else will chime in if there is a better answer.

4. DuckityLove77

DuckityLove77 Chirping

Apr 23, 2018
    Wheaton, IL
    Thanks, Knighstar679! I appreciate the ideas! :)

Willowspirit likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I never weigh eggs either. If air cells are good they should hatch out fine. Best wishes..

6. DuckityLove77

DuckityLove77 Chirping

Apr 23, 2018
    Wheaton, IL
    Does anyone out there hatch by weight? I'm using the dry sponge idea above to lower humidity. When it comes to weight, I'd love some expertise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: