HELP ! flashlight from Walmart? for candling....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Hi, I remember reading a thread about good flashlights for candling...one in particular from Wal-Mart...one that can be used to see into brown and green eggs. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the flashlight [​IMG] I want to go get one. I have 10 green EE eggs I can't see inside with the flashlight I have now.I can see the air sac only and everything else is dark. Can anyone help me with suggestions for flashlights? Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  2. lisabug

lisabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Portersville, PA
    I just bought a 80 lumens Sportsman Extreme flashlight from Walmart for 25.00. I read on here somewhere that Sportsman had a 45 lumen one that is good at walmart (I saw it for 18 something) but I figured if 45 lumens is good then 80 must be great. I haven't candled yet- so I haven't used it...but I got that info for this light on this board and bought mine at Walmart.

Lisa

3. Bamaman

Bamaman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2007
    cullman and auburn, al
    I have always just used a mini-maglight. The one with the LED bulb. I think they are about 9.99 to 15.00 at wal-mart. Mine was free, I found it on the ground while duck hunting.[​IMG]

4. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Thanks for replying. I went to Wal-Mart today and bought an 80 lumen flashlight for $40... so it had better do the job. Actually, my hubby bought it.(he spoils me...says if i want something then I can have it even though I thought it was rather expensive...gotta love those British men !!!! mine anyways [​IMG] ) I will let you know if it works with my green EE eggs.

5. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I'd love to know! I have the 45 lumen, and I can *just* see the veining at the edge of the air cell, nothing else.

Em

6. lisabug

lisabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Portersville, PA
    I am going to candle mine on Wed...so if you don't open yours till then I can test it for you and let you know:)

Lisa

7. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    There is a great candeler from cutler by brinsea. It runs 54.oo and after spending over 100.00 on 2 or more flashlights one being a sure fire I got tired of not being able to see in my maran eggs. This thing is awesome and was meant to candle very dark eggs. My white eggs from my blue andulusians are lit up like a globe and I swear you can see the wings, eyes and beaks.

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I bought an 80 lumen one for $25 from Wally-world. I only have white eggs to candle right now, but I hope it can candle the Welsummers I'm getting in a couple of days...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  9. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I candled my eggs last night(I candle every night ! ). Wow...I saw inside everyone. 80 lumens works great! I even got to see the feet of one of them!

10. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    I use a mini-mag light with fresh batteries, works great on brown and green eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by