help...fledgling peep

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by boosbabies, Sep 21, 2007.

1. boosbabies

boosbabies New Egg

Sep 21, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Hi....[​IMG]
    I am new here and not great with computers..hope I can figure out how to do this.
    I have a silkie hen with 4 new babies just about a week old. Her first baby was thriving until the last day or so. He seems a little weak now and a few steps behind the others. Finally, I separated him and placed him under a heat lamp. He is eating and drinking sugar water somewhat. I thought maybe he is the lone black and the 3 others are grey, they just didn't include him and I thought he was getting cold as he was always trying to get under his mom, and she was busy scratching and teaching to feed.
    Any suggestions? Thanks guys:([​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sounds like you are doing everything right. If it was the last to hatch, it didnt get time to fully warm up and dry before mom was ready to take off. Keep it warm, food, water, for a few days. When its stronger, try putting it back with mom at night, when she is sleeping. Good luck...sounds to me like you have it all under controll. Oh, Chesk its bum, for pasty butt. Keep it clean!

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Another trick I've use and if you're set up for it you can do. If I have one that's lagging I leave it in the pen with Momma but put a lamp in the pen with them. That way the peep isn't seperated and if it needs the extra warmth can move under it.

4. boosbabies

boosbabies New Egg

Sep 21, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Thanks all. Greatly appreciated. I feel so sorry for it. I'll keep you posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by