HELP! Flock of hens with foul, watery diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beartown1, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Beartown1

Beartown1 New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    So I have been researching and treating my flock for 3 weeks now and to NO avail. My girls are sick and I need some help!
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)~ I have 7 hens (2 buff orphingtons, 2 RIR, 1 barred rock, 1 speckled sussex, & 1 americana) all 7 months
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.~ About 3 weeks ago they started having watery, foul smelling diarrhea. Some also developed balding behinds and now they are developing lesions (which I'm not sure if that has been caused by picking at each other or if it is from whatever is going through them). Initially, 3 of my girls had vents that were swollen and infected (they were removed from the flock and I treated them with monistat & yogurt reg). 6 hens are laying daily and 1 is currently separated and not laying
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?~ 3 weeks and no major improvement asides from their vents healing
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?~ ENTIRE FLOCK :(
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.~ Starting to develop skin lesions which I am treating with iodine.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.~ NO IDEA
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.~ They have their regular feed available at all times. Every morning I am feeding them a mix of yogurt, applesauce, powdered probiotics & feed. Their water is currently treated with apple cidar vinegar and I have done a molasses flush on them. The first molasses flush was 3 weeks ago and I just did it again 1 week ago.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.~ Poop is foul smelling & watery
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Probiotics, yogurt, applesauce, apple cidar vinegar, molasses flush, iodine on wounds, blu-kote on wounds, monistat around infected vents.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?~ I want to treat myself (my husband would kill me if I spent anymore on vet bills!!
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use~ They are housed in a 4x8 insulated coop with a fenced in yard. They are allowed to roam the yard free when I am out to watch them.

I'll try to post some pics. I have been killing myself trying to get everyone back on track, but they still have not improved substantially. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by