Help!! Fluid In Hens Lungs-shes Dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaniLovesChickens, Sep 21, 2010.

1. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    I have a sick hen. Older BR. I gave her Nutri Drench with a syringe. I apparently got some in her lungs.

She sneezed/coughed some out. There's still some there. I'm losing her. She's gasping for breath.

Is there anything that I can do?

PLEASE HELP ME!

2. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    I'm sorry! Any update?[​IMG]

3. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    She is alive for right now. I have her in a crate so noone bugs her.

Her breathing is slow and shallow. The temp here had been nice and cool but of course today it is in the mid 80s.

She drank some water. Her poop was liquid with white then liquid with a few little green chunks.

She's sitting there with her beak resting on one of the bars of the cage so that her head is tipped up. I think she can breathe a little easier this way.

She's a sweet old BR. She about 5 years old and survived a dog attack last fall. I just wish she could pull through this too.[​IMG]

4. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    When animals aspirate on fluid, one of the things you want to guard against is infection. You may want to add some antibiotics to her water, or administer directly. Keep her comfortable and warm. Good luck! She sounds sweet and well-loved...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by