HELP!! Foot looks swelled...

juniverse

Songster
10 Years
Nov 3, 2013
Hi there,

My Mallard seems to have swelled underfeet. Is this normal? Maybe nothing is wrong.
She isn't limping and is walking around normal.Take a look at this pic.

She is 8 months old and this is the first time she started laying eggs. (8 eggs so far).
Do ducks feet swell when bearing eggs?

Diet is normal and has not changed.

Last edited:
Hi there,

My Mallard seems to have swelled underfeet. Is this normal? Maybe nothing is wrong.
She isn't limping and is walking around normal.Take a look at this pic.

She is 8 months old and this is the first time she started laying eggs. (8 eggs so far).
Do ducks feet swell when bearing eggs?

Diet is normal and has not changed.

Looks like you may have the beginning of bumble foot[which is staff infection ]they can pick it up off the ground when they have cuts or scrapes on their feet. So now you want to treat because left untreated can cause sever lameness even death if it travels through the body. start by soaking her foot you can use Epsom salt and warm water[don't let her drink it] also a laxative. but the ES will clean out the foot and also soften up the skin then find some colorless iodine[has to be colorless] Walmart has it also CVS, after soaking her foot dry it real good then with a q tip put the colorless iodine all over the foot where you see the open sore places, let that dry then wait about 3 days if the places haven't scabbed over soak again and use the colorless iodine. since this doesn't look like full blown bumble you have a good chance of clearing it up pretty quick. the place by the toe looks like it could be the one starting to bumble. but treat all areas. I'll get you a pictorial on how we found out the benefits of colorless iodine.
this will walk you through the process. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/807777/bumblefoot-new-ideas-on-treatment-with-pictures

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the advice. We'll keep doing so and I'll be sure to update if she gets better. :)

Back
Top Bottom