Help for a muscovy duckling that was left behind?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bossynbella, Jul 26, 2011.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Our Muscovy hen hatched out her ducklings sometime between yesterday and this morning. I went to check on her this morning to find an empty nest with one egg that didn't hatch and what I thought was a dead duckling, when I picked it up however it gave a feeble peep. Still alive! It's not dry yet, and seems week, I have been carrying him around with me, but its warmer outside then in the air conditioned house so he is at the moment in a tub outside so temp is around 96 degrees - humidity is 53%. I mixed up some sugar water and got it to take a few drinks, though its slow on swallowing. I have been going out and checking on it and giving more drinks of water ever 15 minutes or so. Any other ideas? I have meat bird feed, but figure I should work on getting him dry before trying to feed, he won't drink the water on his own, only if I dip his bill in it. All the other ducklings (ten if I counted right) are doing great, but I want this one to make it if there is anything I can do for him. Why would she just leave it in the nest? None had hatched yesterday morning, so its not like she HAD to take the others out for water/feed. I put her and the other in a pen as she lost her last clutch taking them over the hill to the icky, dirty, gross creek.

Thanks for any help!

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    She left him because he was too weak to follow her.

Keep getting water into him. The meat bird feed is perfect. Put it out for him. Don't worry if he won't eat for the first day. If he is still alive tomorrow, you can worry about getting him to eat. Often they will eat better if you scatter a little bit of feed on the ground. They will eat that first and then eat out of their feeder.

Don't be too disappointed if he doesn't make it.

3. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    Well the little one is doing better, was eating some food and has dried off. I took him out and set him at the edge of the pen momma and babies are in, he started peeping and she came running over and included him right in with the rest of them. Then she herded them back to the other side of the pen. He is slower then the rest, and has a harder time staying on his feet, but I think he might make it. He sure seems happier being with the rest of his family, then by himself.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:[​IMG] for the little one!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by