Help for a newbie on sex links

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by redjackson, Apr 22, 2012.

1. redjackson

redjackson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    South Central KY
    First of all...im a newbie. I have recently purchased 7 "pullets" from a local farmer. I am pretty sure they are GSL or RSL but not sure which. He had bought them as golden comets but wasnt sure. The smallest are supposed to be 2 months and the two larger ones are 3.5 months. My question is "what are they?" and maybe gender? Thank you so much in advance...[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    The younger ones look like Golden Comets. The older look almost dark enough to be a Rhode Island Red, but the whiter feathering I can see in the last picture looks to be a Sexlink or Production Red bird.

They should all be female.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're all sex link hens. Gold, red, etc are just telling what the specific breeds might have been used to make the cross. Doesn't really matter, they're all laying machines and mostly calm, hardy birds. Your older ones look like they should be laying, or quite soon if they haven't started yet.

4. redjackson

redjackson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2012
    South Central KY
    Thanks guys![​IMG] I was hoping for hens but the one with the large red comb had me wondering. She is always watching the flock and is the only one that wont let you get close. As for laying not yet but like you mentioned hoping very soon...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by