HELP for a newbie please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Trickbaby, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Trickbaby

Trickbaby New Egg

Feb 8, 2012
    Western Colorado
    Hi everyone and I hope you all feel like giving me help for a while, lol.

NEVER had or mess with chicken but I am going to now.

I have been given 10 to 12 chicken that are currently laying eggs (don't know how old) I also plan to buy 6 new babies next month.

Questions:

1. we are putting up coop now(there was a coop about 6ft. X 10ft out back when we bought home 12 years ago so we took it down and are reusing it and new mats).... How big do I need it ? How big a run should I put in ?

2. Is it alright to mix these older ladies with my new babies when they come in ?

3. would you plz share any tips or things that might help me I love to learn and am so eager to do this.

Thank you all for any help....

2. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    I know it can be tricky putting 2 flocks together. I am not sure how it is done, but I know you cant just put them together.

Have fun
    [​IMG]

3. Trickbaby

Trickbaby New Egg

Feb 8, 2012
    Western Colorado
    Thanks for info anyone got any steps ??

I was thinking of doing a smaller area for the babies and letting them be next to each other and maybe slowly they might get to know each other, LOL ????

4. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    I think that is a good idea! After the babies are bigger thou.

5. Trickbaby

Trickbaby New Egg

Feb 8, 2012
    Western Colorado
    Ty

6. crystal195655

crystal195655 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Glenoma, WA
    you will need to prepare a brooder for your babies with heat, water and food.....until they are fully feathered out which is about 4-6 weeks....then it would be a good idea to introduce them to the older gals thru a fence or something....then when you do put them together provide a shelter so that the little girls can get away from the older ones if they beed to...it should be somehting small enought that the full grown hens can't get to them....they will eventually get along once they sort out the "Pecking order" !!

7. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Yes, the pecking order can appear nasty but usually it settles down pretty quick.
    The less you interfere the better unless the attacks draw blood, in which case you can separate them again for a while.
    The babies should not be added to the flock until they are the same size (or close) and their combs start to redden a bit.
    Usually about 14-16 weeks old for my girls.

There are formulas for coop size and run size in the coop section of BYC and probably in the FAQ section.
    Most important ... relax and enjoy your new friends .... and ...
    WELCOME TO BYC.

8. Trickbaby

Trickbaby New Egg

Feb 8, 2012
    Western Colorado
    I want to thank all the folks that have replied so far. I am using everything you all are telling plus anything I can find on the web.

I have a new question also.... I was reading about DE to help with flies, smell, mites, etc..., question does anyone here use is it good and worth it or is it just and extra that is not needed ?????

9. Trickbaby

Trickbaby New Egg

Feb 8, 2012
    Western Colorado
    A new question.... When I go buy babies are they all chickens or might I get a boy or do I have to buy a boy straight out???

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    OK - first of all, let's get the terminology down. They will ALL be chickens. [​IMG] The females are pullets, the males are cockerels. (When they are adults, they are hens and roosters) It depends on where you buy them. Some places sell "sexed" chicks. Meaning, you can get whichever gender you choose. (Sometimes it fails and you end up with the opposite) Or you can get "straight run" - a mixture of males and females. Think of this as a grab bag. You don't know what you're getting until you open the bag. Or in this case until they grow up and you can see which is which. Before you get chicks, make sure you have room to house all of your chickens. You will need two separate coops and runs until the chicks become big enough to integrate with the others. And you will need to start those chicks out in a brooder, as previously stated. The hens you currently have will kill baby chicks if you put them in when they're too small.

DE - I've never used it. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but we have a farm, the chickens have plenty of room to roam, and dust bathe throughout the summer. I've had chickens off and on for over 25 years, and I've never seen lice or mites on my birds.

For some good information on integrating your flock when the time comes, check out the Managing Your Flock section here on BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by