Help for a newbie

sandra1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
I have 2 question I need answered. I am so overwhellemed that I'm about ready to give up this idea of having chicken.
1. I got an incubator from a friend and hatched 3 perfect chick but when the 4th one came out, it had a paralized leg. It stick straight out towards the rear end. He was born on Saturday and is having rough time(getting around). He cannot walk(obviously) and can barely scoot around. I have given him some homopothy(spelling?) medication and the chick is now drinking from the syringe on his own. I know culling is an option, but not for me. I just cant do it. We have bonded for goodness sakes. I have him in a box with a towel and a stuffed animal frog in it. The chick loves to cuddle to the frog. It is getting stronger but has anyone out there lived with a chicken that only uses 1 leg. Does he/she have a chance? Do I have unrealistic expectations? If you saw it you would fall in love too.
2. I have 2 more eggs in the incubator that has been trying to hatch for since Friday afternoon. It is now Monday morning with no luck. They are still chirping but no other progress. It has been close to 60 hours. Do I help or just let them keep doing their thing.
If you could answer either question that would be great if not just pray for the little guys/girls.

I dont think so but I will try the band aid. Thank you.
smile.png

I'm sorry about this. I can't help, but maybe for the eggs that are in the bator....I would post it under that particular category. You'll probably get a ton more help there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

is the membrane dry on the chicks that are so long in hatching?

you may need tohelp them
the chick that is damaged is really going to be helpless all of its life
so you have to decide if you want to feed and water it for ever
hopefully the other two will be okay

Well, I decided to splint the leg and cardboard the foot of the one chick. With the help of those two things and with a great Homeopathic remedy the chick is doing a lot better. With the chicks in the incubator I have since checked on them and they were too dry to get out. I proceded to mist them with warm water and broke them out of the shell. There was no way they were going to make it out without assistance. I had to get them really wet. I think we will be throwing that incubator away! I have also given them a remedy that you mist on them and they are now walking around the incubator and peeping loudly. I think they are fighters. We will see if they make it through the night. Thanks to all for your help and prayers.
wee.gif

woot.gif
So glad that the chicks hatched and are alive.
hugs.gif
And I'm so happy that the other chick is doing better.
smile.png

The reason that the membrane was so sticky with the late hatchers was because humidity must have been too low; this causes the chicks to get stuck when trying to hatch. What was your humidity at during the whole incubation period?

Good luck!
hugs.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom