Help for an unpleasant topic!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Painted Spirit, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Songster

Oct 18, 2009
    The one chick that hatched early is just not getting better. He had spunked up but now is on a downturn.... what's the best way to end his misery? When the kids had fish I'd pack the sick ones in ziplock bags with some water and make ice cubes and freeze 'em. I don't think that be the way to go with a chicky. If you don't want to post this info publicly please pm me. Thanks!

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Can you tell us whats wrong with him? It may just be tired and want to sleep. Hatching is hard work.

3. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Songster

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    I've had to do this before, it just makes ya feel awful. What's going on with chickie? Is it unable to stand? Does it chirp at all? have you seen it peck or eat anything? You can try Ka-tee bird seed, a little sugar water, possibly try boiled egg crumbled, give us a bit more to go on, maybe one of us can help. I'm sorry you are going through this

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  4. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Songster

Oct 18, 2009
    He's been out of the egg for 3 days now, has not eaten, I've used the eye dropper to get him to drink and he doesn't seem interested in that either - he fusses and pulls aways. He can't get around on his own as he has some leg deformitys (feet are balled, one leg is always extended - I have put a bandaid to keep it flexed underneath him but he still can't move around well.) I had some chicks from my first hatch pass away and it took awhile and I felt badly I didn't end their suffering humanely.

5. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I have one similar to yours who is about 5 days. One of his legs was spralded out to the side.
    (does he look like this [​IMG]
    For the first few days I was thinking the same thing cull it, You have to stay on the water and sugar thing I showed it many times to make sure it knew where it was I put a bandad on the other chick removed it and kept pecking it, (but I left it in there because chicks dont do well by themself ) I left the bandad off and he got along and it seemed to get better but not all the way bandaid is back on and the chick is very PO'ed. Make sure the temp in brooder is good and warm. This helps they start to move around. Give it a couple days, if you have other chicks put a buddy in with it. Hope it gets better.

6. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Songster

Oct 18, 2009
    I'm not sure if it is spradle leg as he pushes it out behind him and is on his tummy. And his feet are curled and balled on both legs unless I manipulate them straight. He's in a warm spot by his self - no one else has made an appearance and I'm on day 22.... not a good hatch at all!

7. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Mine did the same thing, And dont feel bad I also had 2 recent bad hatches, 1st one got one chick out of 6. He's 4 weeks old and a loner in a brooder pen with 3 six week olds. and my last hatch 2 out of eighteen. Probally wont have any but I helped them. They are my $40 chicks. Come to think about it. My Marans are becoming expensive so I really need to get this down. A total of 3 costing $65.00.
    My little guy with spradle leg seems to be coming along. I hope yours makes it. Just dunk his beak in warm sugar water he should swallow. I actually didn't give mine anything for about 24 hrs after they hatched. They seem to have their strength then. But I'm a beginner so what do I know only have internet knowledge. But will get better because I cant stop hatching.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
  9. chickenmeadow

chickenmeadow Crowing

Jun 14, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    My Coop
    Painted Spirit: I know this does not directly answer your question, but just wanted to add that a cut piece of pipe cleaner (don't remember, but about 2") works very well for spradle leg. Just curl the end (on each side) around the lower part of the leg; easy to put on & easy to adjust or take off (not bandaid sticking or adhesive removable). Good luck with your chick. Don't get too discouraged & try to hatch again or even better use a dependable broody like a Silkie. There's a lot of good info on incubating on the BYC, there's so much to learn, keep reading.

10. Laney

Laney Songster

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    If the leg is going back, and the feet are curled up it could be a vitamin deficiency as well. I had a duck with similar problems. A few days on vit & electrolyte solution and he perked right up. It took about a week and a half for his legs to strengthen enough to walk. About 4 weeks to walk normally.

We did the vit & electrolyte 3 days on, 3 days off for the deficient chick, 3 days on 1 week off for all th other chicks.

Good luck!!

If you have to put it down, my best recommendation is to use the Husband method.

Laney

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by