Help for Baby Chick

Jan 29, 2019
Not sure this is allowed,and I know this is a huge long shot!! But, do any of you by chance know anyone who knows alot about baby chicks and could take one in an emergency? He has slipped tendons I think and I can see a tiny improvement after 2-1/2 days in a chick sling but I'm at a loss and don't have enough experience. I was hoping maybe y'all might know someone who has chickens and knows how to fix this.. I'm just at a loss.. I'm in Cullman, AL..hes fixing to go to the vet, just hoping some can help him or her!
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200515_190853.jpg
    20200515_190853.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200515_182310.jpg
    20200515_182310.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 2
Not sure this is allowed,and I know this is a huge long shot!! But, do any of you by chance know anyone who knows alot about baby chicks and could take one in an emergency? He has slipped tendons I think and I can see a tiny improvement after 2-1/2 days in a chick sling but I'm at a loss and don't have enough experience. I was hoping maybe y'all might know someone who has chickens and knows how to fix this.. I'm just at a loss.. I'm in Cullman, AL..hes fixing to go to the vet, just hoping some can help him or her!
Thanks!
Idk, I'm definitely an amateur. But, I love your lil nest you made and I hope you will get good news. Please keep us posted.

Th
Idk, I'm definitely an amateur. But, I love your lil nest you made and I hope you will get good news. Please keep us posted.
Thank you! I'm an amateur too with this. We have alot of chickens, but this is new to us and I'm about to pull my hair out stressing over if I'm doing it right or not! I'd like to see the baby make it and be able to get around even if she or he has to stay in a special pen with a small hen or 2 if she does have problems getting around later..

I made the little sling with an oatmeal box cut in half and put a tight fitting sock over it and put holes in it for her little legs and butt. It holds her pretty good so far. But she's getting restless sitting. She eats great, but she won't drink water on her own so I water her food down really good after she eats normally so she has to get water at the end of each feeding as well.. she just snubs her nose at plain water..once she eats and gets full she snuggles next to my hand and quiets down and is fine. But, I think she needs someone more experienced than I am to deal with her.. at least to get her through this bad spot and then I'd even take her back if I needed to..

Th
Thank you! I'm an amateur too with this. We have alot of chickens, but this is new to us and I'm about to pull my hair out stressing over if I'm doing it right or not! I'd like to see the baby make it and be able to get around even if she or he has to stay in a special pen with a small hen or 2 if she does have problems getting around later..

I made the little sling with an oatmeal box cut in half and put a tight fitting sock over it and put holes in it for her little legs and butt. It holds her pretty good so far. But she's getting restless sitting. She eats great, but she won't drink water on her own so I water her food down really good after she eats normally so she has to get water at the end of each feeding as well.. she just snubs her nose at plain water..once she eats and gets full she snuggles next to my hand and quiets down and is fine. But, I think she needs someone more experienced than I am to deal with her.. at least to get her through this bad spot and then I'd even take her back if I needed to..
All I know to do for stress is give her a few drops of Hydro-Hen 3-1. This seems to give them a good boost. I understand the stress and trying to do the right thing. Its crazy. My neighbors toddler hurt one of their chicks after they first got them and I saw it outside yesterday dragging its leg while trying to hop around. I felt really bad for it. I wanted to do something but, its not my chick.
Its probably 4 mos old already.
Sad.
I Love your little nest. You did a really cleaver thing. Good for you.

I'm also afraid to ask, but is there a certain time when theres no helping the legs on a baby chick? She's 5 days old today and been in a sling 3 days this evening.. I took her out today for a few minutes and she can bend her legs better on her own where she couldn't before at all..

I guess my question is if her tendons slip back out can how long can you keep trying to correct it? I've seen where older chicks get hurt and they fix them up. But not sure about such a young one..?? she was originally trying to walk on her hocks and balancing with her wing so she scooted super fast with her wings flapping like crazy when she was born so not long after we put her in a hobble thinking she had splayed legs because we had no idea what was wrong with her and we've treated chicks with splayed legs that healed great.. but as I read on here I saw the double slipped tendons and thats when we started her in the swing and with ace bandage etc... is there a chance this could take a few more days or so in the swing??
Thanks everyone!!

All I know to do for stress is give her a few drops of Hydro-Hen 3-1. This seems to give them a good boost. I understand the stress and trying to do the right thing. Its crazy. My neighbors toddler hurt one of their chicks after they first got them and I saw it outside yesterday dragging its leg while trying to hop around. I felt really bad for it. I wanted to do something but, its not my chick.
Its probably 4 mos old already.
Sad.
I Love your little nest. You did a really cleaver thing. Good for you.
Oh that's so sad.. they are so fragile!!

Back
Top Bottom