Help for dog with arthritis

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NancyDz, Apr 24, 2009.

1. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    My dog has arthritis in his hind legs, some days if we do too much activity, he lays on the couch and whines a little. I am trying to limit his activity so this doesnt happen but I'm wondering if there is anything like bengay that I can use on a dog? I massage him and he seems to like that but I thought if there was some type of lotion like that maybe it would help him feel better too?

Thanks for any input.

Nancy

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    what type of dog and whats his/her waight?

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    There are several good supplements for arthritis...importantly if it is an older dog is the glucosamine and chondroitin. as we as well as dog age, our bodies' natural production of these slows down. They are the substances that lube our joints so to speak and help ligaments and so forth heal.

Do a little reasearch online on giving aspirin to the dog, but grab some glucosamine and chondrotin (they can be found in one pill or liquid) and start adding it to his/her daily routine.

Poor thing..massage sometimes helps as does a heating pad on low or medium covered with a towel or their blankie.

4. NancyDz

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    He's a lab mix. He's been checked by a vet, weight is fine and he is on an anti-inflammatory
    and some supplements advised by the vet. He's gotten a lot better but still once in awhile, like today when we stayed longer than usual as we were at my sister's dog park with her dog. Then afterwards were at her house. It's hard to limit him at time's like these so that's when he whines a little. I just massaged his back legs and now he's resting and not whining but just wondering if there is a topical I can put on him to help. Not looking for diagnosis... already have that. Just thought there might be something for short term relief.

Thanks

Nancy

5. NancyDz

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Heating pad.. that might be help.. thanks. He's a heat monger. He LOVES sitting outside soaking up the sunshine. He's on glucosamine and chondroiton [​IMG]

Anyone know any good books on canine massage? There is a school here that teaches equine and canine massage... I've thought about taking some classes... maybe I need to look into that more seriously.

Nancy

6. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    you can give him 1/2 a human ibuprofin i belive?
    youll have to find out ?

i had a great dane i had to give 2 oxycottons too for an injury once and the vet said it was alright cause he was a big dog and it wasnt permant?

ask your vet
    heres a pic of the dane [​IMG]

im 6ft 2 inches to get in idea of his size

7. NancyDz

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Wow ! Big beautiful Dane [​IMG] I think we go back in next week for a checkup but maybe I'll call tomorrow. My boy is such a happy go lucky guy.. when he whines I know he must really be hurting, its funny though.. I talk to him and he wags his tail every time he hears me talk to him even as he's laying there whining!

Nancy

8. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    thanks i hopee he feels better

9. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Rimadyl!

I loved this stuff for my first golden ret. He was on it the last few years of his life and it made a HUGE impact. Also glucosamine and chondroitin as stated before help alot it just takes awhile to get going in the body. As far as somthing you can put on afterwards with dogs they tend to lick it off and taste Im sure isnt that great. Also if you can give him a super comfy bed or one of the ones that is raised off the ground tends to help with joints. The ones that are raised off the ground is sorta like a hammock type deal. Also as stated before heat is always nice for stiffness. Hope ya find somthing to help out a bit more.

10. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    My old springer is on Glucosamine and chrondoitin and then Rimadyl when she is very stiff.
    My dad took his lab to their vet for acupuncture which really helped her - it was amazing to see the old girl asleep on the vets's table with the needles sticking out of her!! Worth a try.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by