Help for duck

mom-to-many

Hatching
Sep 22, 2015
My duck was attacked by something last night. Possibly a racoon. She has 3 puncture wounds, 2 to base of neck. 1 to head. I cleaned them w/ water & betadine. She did drink some water today. The area is swollen. This same thing happened last year & it did get infected. I had to take her to the vet & was on steroids & antibiotics, plus wound irrigation. I am trying to save $ by not taking her. She doesn't seem as ill as last time.
I have been reading many posts. I have read they can have aspirin, maybe tramadol, & certain abx I can get at feed store. Does any one know for sure what abx I can get or if I can use tramadol?

@casportpony has more info on things like Tramadol - I don't know it.

But I do know that Advil is better than aspirin for pain.

From hennible's vet:
For ducks 6-8 lbs 25-40mg twice daily adult tablets cut up or children's liquid Advil 1.5ml twice daily, orally.

Amiga’s arithmetic – 8 pounds 40 mg is 5 mg per pound
6 pounds 25 mg, is just over 4 mg per pound

so, 4 to 5 mg per pound of duck

Storey's guide suggests clipping feathers away from wounds
keep away from flies (they lay eggs in wounds)

I would also consider getting oral antibiotic started - but see what others say - I would not want to wait for systemic infection to set in.

Definitely rinse the wounds daily - even saline solution can be really good, so can Vetericyn.

Some vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics to build the duck's system back up.

You have corrected the security problem, I hope, if that's what it was. I know things happen sometimes in spite of our efforts.

hugs.gif

My duck was attacked by something last night. Possibly a racoon. She has 3 puncture wounds, 2 to base of neck. 1 to head. I cleaned them w/ water & betadine. She did drink some water today. The area is swollen. This same thing happened last year & it did get infected. I had to take her to the vet & was on steroids & antibiotics, plus wound irrigation. I am trying to save $ by not taking her. She doesn't seem as ill as last time.
I have been reading many posts. I have read they can have aspirin, maybe tramadol, & certain abx I can get at feed store. Does any one know for sure what abx I can get or if I can use tramadol?
Welcome to BYC! My vet prescribed tramadol for a *large* Muscovy drake of mine. I think it was 1/2 a 25mg pill twice a day, but not posistive.

-Kathy

@casportpony would Duramycin10 be useful in this case?

@MomToMany I apologize for missing your question about antibiotics … I think I am on board now.

Last edited:
I don't think I would give tramadol unless it was in *severe* pain.

-Kathy

Disclaimer: I have no medical training
big_smile.png

Last edited:
@casportpony would Duramycin10 be useful in this case?

@MomToMany I apologize for missing your question about antibiotics … I think I am on board now.
Let me think about that... got to go do some chores, but will post later. Probably no harm in starting Duramycin 10 - 800mg/gallon dose is 1.5 tablespoons per gallon.

-Kathy

@mom-to-many , when this happened last year, what antibiotic did that vet prescribe? I ask because I don't think the antibiotics at the feedstore are the type one would use, but not to worry, because one can buy almost all other antibiotics elsewhere without a prescription, though you will have to pay for overnight shipping.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom