Help for duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mom-to-many, Sep 22, 2015.

1. mom-to-many

mom-to-many New Egg

Sep 22, 2015
    My duck was attacked by something last night. Possibly a racoon. She has 3 puncture wounds, 2 to base of neck. 1 to head. I cleaned them w/ water & betadine. She did drink some water today. The area is swollen. This same thing happened last year & it did get infected. I had to take her to the vet & was on steroids & antibiotics, plus wound irrigation. I am trying to save $ by not taking her. She doesn't seem as ill as last time.
    I have been reading many posts. I have read they can have aspirin, maybe tramadol, & certain abx I can get at feed store. Does any one know for sure what abx I can get or if I can use tramadol?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @casportpony has more info on things like Tramadol - I don't know it.

But I do know that Advil is better than aspirin for pain.

From hennible's vet:
    For ducks 6-8 lbs 25-40mg twice daily adult tablets cut up or children's liquid Advil 1.5ml twice daily, orally.

Amiga’s arithmetic – 8 pounds 40 mg is 5 mg per pound
    6 pounds 25 mg, is just over 4 mg per pound

so, 4 to 5 mg per pound of duck

Storey's guide suggests clipping feathers away from wounds
    keep away from flies (they lay eggs in wounds)

I would also consider getting oral antibiotic started - but see what others say - I would not want to wait for systemic infection to set in.

Definitely rinse the wounds daily - even saline solution can be really good, so can Vetericyn.

Some vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics to build the duck's system back up.

You have corrected the security problem, I hope, if that's what it was. I know things happen sometimes in spite of our efforts.

[​IMG]

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! My vet prescribed tramadol for a *large* Muscovy drake of mine. I think it was 1/2 a 25mg pill twice a day, but not posistive.

-Kathy

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @casportpony would Duramycin10 be useful in this case?

@MomToMany I apologize for missing your question about antibiotics … I think I am on board now.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I don't think I would give tramadol unless it was in *severe* pain.

-Kathy

Disclaimer: I have no medical training [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Let me think about that... got to go do some chores, but will post later. Probably no harm in starting Duramycin 10 - 800mg/gallon dose is 1.5 tablespoons per gallon.

-Kathy

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I need to turn in. Hugs, prayers for you both. thanks, Kathy.

I have subscribed to this thread, so I will check email in the morning for notifications.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @mom-to-many , when this happened last year, what antibiotic did that vet prescribe? I ask because I don't think the antibiotics at the feedstore are the type one would use, but not to worry, because one can buy almost all other antibiotics elsewhere without a prescription, though you will have to pay for overnight shipping.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by