Help for egg-bound hen with prolapsed oviduct

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rach and Rich, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Rach and Rich

Rach and Rich New Egg

Sep 19, 2011
    Hi Everybody,

Our six-month old hen appears to have developed a prolapsed oviduct yesterday (Sunday). When I palpate, it feels like there's an egg inside the prolapse, hanging outside of her body. [​IMG]

I searched the forum and have been giving her sitz baths in calendula tincture, then applying Orajel for pain, and honey to shrink the prolapse and as a bacteriostat. We've separated her from the flock and are keeping her in a clean box.

I'm having trouble finding a vet who sees chickens in my area (Ashland, Oregon). My best hope is one who returns to town tomorrow.

I'm guessing she will need surgery to correct this, an expense I cannot easily afford. And yet I'd sure love to give lovely young Louise a chance at more life.

Have any of you dealt with a prolapse/egg-bound combination before? If we chose surgery, how likely is the problem to recur?

Thank you in advance,

Rachael

2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York. This is definitely something you want to post in the Emergency section, however, I don't think Orajel is a good idea. I was told anything with "caine" in the name of ingredients (and Orajel has benzocaine) is toxic to poultry. Best of luck in finding a vet. [​IMG]

3. Rach and Rich

Rach and Rich New Egg

Sep 19, 2011
    Thank you, Grey Mane. I did as you suggested! [​IMG]

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Well that's certainly an unfortunate reason to join BYC. I hope you get it all figured out. Welcome and good luck.

5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana! So glad you joined! [​IMG] Hope you can get her better!!

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  8. Rach and Rich

Rach and Rich New Egg

Sep 19, 2011
    Thank you, ChickensAreSweet!!! I'd read the article, but the chapter from the book is fantastic!

She made it through the night. We head to the vet in two hours.

Thanks, everyone, for your warm welcomes and support! It is much appreciated.

Rachael

9. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

10. Rach and Rich

Rach and Rich New Egg

Sep 19, 2011
    The vet did her best to puncture her egg and remove the large mass of necrotic tissue but the prolapse would not stay in. With more eggs coming down the pipe we could not see a way for her tissues to heal. So we put her down. If it had been just a prolapse or just a bound egg, she would have had a good chance, but the combination of the two was too much. [​IMG] She was a brave and beautiful chicken [​IMG] who came into the world with imperfect plumbing. It was an honor to have her in our lives and to be with her as she flew to the other side.

Thank you all for being there.

Love,
    Rachael

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by