Help for gender and age

SilkiesRcool

Songster
Nov 1, 2016
Florida
I have some silkie chicks that I got on October 10th they are growing a lot but don't look like other breeds at 10 weeks wasn't sure about the difference in breeds any help on gender or age is very much appreciated.First pictures are from the day I got them. The flock picture is from Tuesday and the single pictures are from November 24th

Last edited:
The first buff Orpington silkie looks like a definite boy, as for the others it's to soon to tell. It usually takes silkie's longer to mature, so I'd wait a bit longer and post some more pictures for advice then your likely to get more positive answers.

I have some silkie chicks that I got on October 10th they are growing a lot but don't look like other breeds at 10 weeks wasn't sure about the difference in breeds any help on gender or age is very much appreciated.First pictures are from the day I got them. The flock picture is from Tuesday and the single pictures are from November 24th

Looks like they were about 3 weeks old when you got them. Still looks like the last buff is the only pullet.

White: A boy? Hard to tell as the pic isn't as close up
Black: Girl but a better view of the comb would be good
Buff 1: Boy
White 2: Girl
Buff 2: Girl

When sexing silkies you can look at the shape and size of the crest - males tend to have smaller crests that follow their heads and (once old enough) have glossy, pointed feathers at the back. Females crests are rounded and bigger. Males combs are wider and fleshier whereas females are much smaller. Another trick to tell whether they are boys or girls is to look at the tail and saddle - males have slightly pointed saddle and tail feathers (especially tail sickles) however they don't get this until they are older. If you part the tail and saddle you will most likely see pointy, glossier feathers coming through. Silkies are harder to tell though due to their fluffy feathers.

Ok thank you I got a better picture of them all except the black I will when I get home today. Whites are in the same order as before.

2nd set of pictures

1: definitely a boy
2: girl? Still a bit hard to tell
3: possibly a boy
4: probably a girl
5: definitely a girl

I'm pretty sure both the whites are boys took some pictures in actual good lighting.
1f622.png
What do I do with this many boys is only option getting rid of them?

Ok the first white is definitely a boy
The black is definitely a girl
The last white is like 70% chance boy, have you seen any shiny feathers on it?

Back
Top Bottom