HELP for heavy-breathing hen -- no help from aspirin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bezenar, May 25, 2010.

1. bezenar

bezenar New Egg

May 21, 2010
    My naked neck started breathing through her mouth sometimes a couple weeks ago. No other symptoms. But now she's breathing heavier -- her wattles stand out to the side when she inhales. She has slowed down a lot. She's 6.

Last week the vet prescribed an aspirin-type fluid that I give her 2 times a day but that's not helping. She also gave me liquid calcium since she figured the hen may have a half-formed egg inside. That's not helping.

I called the vet today and was told the vet is willing to do an xray and other tests.

I'm not crazy about that.

I've never seen this problem before with any of my hens. Anyone know what's going on?

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My goodness that could be caused by any number of things... at 6 years old, she is up there in age. You can either do as your vet recommends and get her checked out or look at the sticky at the top of this forum and answer the questions listed there...it will give everyone more information and a better chance to offer some assistance.

3. bezenar

bezenar New Egg

May 21, 2010
    Good advice. I'd love to respond to the questions. I'm having no luck (oops I just typed cluck) figuring out where the *sticky at the top of this forum* is that you mentioned? Do you mean the animated yellow smiley with the link to the moderator's notes? Or one of the links on the blue bars?

I love this site because I always find so much to read about and learn, and then I see that another hour has slipped away ...

Great to have such a good resource.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by