Help for Lonely Banty Cochin Rooster

sandy sea

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Rogersville MO
I have only one Banty, which happens to be a white Cochin Frizzle Rooster. He lives with 19 standard hens, a standard EE rooster, and two pot bellied pigs. He is not allowed to "play " with the hens, I do not know if it is his size, his funky dancing, or just his hairdo, but hens just laugh at him. At night he makes his bed beside the pot bellied pigs and that is where he sleeps all night. He has never been able to roost with the other chickens. I feel bad for him, he trys but he never really fits in the group. Should I get him a friend his own size? If Yes, a banty cochin ? Another frizzle? What color? How many? Thanks P.S. He likes long walks on the beach.

I think that you should get him two or three smooth white bantam cochin pullets/hens for mates, and most importantly, a coop of his own. Otherwise, the dominant roo will just take the new bantam girls as his own and your banty roo will still be roosting with the pot belly pigs.

This is a cochin pullet that I used to own. Since then Ive sold all my white bantam cochins.

chel

That is a puff ball not a rooster. Do you think I should rehome my banty rooster? Not sure if I can convince my husband to build me another coop and run.

Quote:
I think the options are either get him some girls of his own, in their own place, or re-home him.
I would not get him a Frizzle hen, get straights.

I have a straight Rooster on Frizzle hen they are in their own little space and get along fine.

Honestly, it would take much to build a little area for them, luckily Bantams do not need as much space. Right now I have 2 bantam runs that are about 5 x 5 and I just have little portable coops in them, everything I have was built with scraps laying around. We are in the process of building some breeder cages for the Bantams, they are relatively inexpensive.
They are 4 by 8 overall, 32" off the ground and 5 foot tall, they are split so I have 2 4 x 4 pens in one space. These comfortable fit Trios or Quads of Bantams.
Of course mine are Show Birds so I don;t care for them to be on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom