1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help for my baby chicks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by yalfar, Oct 11, 2013.

1. yalfar

yalfar New Egg

Oct 11, 2013
    the temperature over here is 30C. I'm a starter with chicks and I had read on internet that feed should be present with the chicks at all times so they eat whenever they want to. My chicks are 2 weeks old and I did the same. One of my chicks died today and the other two got lazy. I called the person I had bought them from and he said I fed them excessively, so their stomach got upset. Now I forcefully made them drink water with a homoepathic medicine named aloes. They looked better for some time but now they are shivering with their beaks wide open. What do I do?[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Practically every one of us keeps feed continually with chicks. Don’t for a minute believe that about them overeating and getting an upset stomach.

It’s hard to tell what is going on at a distance over the internet. There are just too many things I can’t possibly know or you can tell me.

My first thought is Coccidiosis. Are yours being kept I a wet environment? That’s usually something that can lead to a Coccidiosis outbreak. Some strains of Coccidiosis are stronger than others so you don’t have to have something wet for them to come down with it, but wet makes it more likely. Look up the signs for Coccidiosis. Some people believe they have to be pooping blood for them to be suffering from Coccidiosis but that is not true. Them being puffed up and lethargic can be a sign. But do some research for a better description.

My next thought, especially with them panting, is how warm are they? How are you providing heat? I’m guessing that 30 C (86 F) is your daily high? What is your daily low if you are not providing heat? At 2 weeks they can handle a pretty good range of temperature but it might be cold related. I don’t think it is cold but I’m not there.

Opening their mouth is a way for them to try to cool off. Heat can kill. Are they trying to get as far as they can away from your heat source? Do they have a place they can go away from the heat source so they can cool down if they need to? I strongly advocate having a brooder big enough that you can heat one area but let the rest cool down a bunch so they can find their comfort zone.

Those are my quick initial thoughts. It could easily be something else. Good luck. These things can be frustrating.

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Ridgerunner mentioned the most likely causes. Good luck and hope you get this figured out!

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I agree that posting in the Emergencies section would be wise. I also think it unlikely that your chicks overate, as most people keep food in front of their birds. When you post, include how you are housing the chicks, and at what temp they are kept at. I would counsel caution in forcing too much medication on them until you know what it wrong - and keep fresh water available at all times.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by