HELP for my broken chicken!! Urgent!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CascadiaRiver, Oct 20, 2016.

1. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    We have a 2 year old booted bantam hen named Truffles, 6 weeks ago she had some sort of injury to her right leg.

It is NOT Bumblefoot, It is NOT Mites, It is NOT a toenail, there are no bones sticking out, or other visual abnormalities. Palpation didn't help, and she can move her toes.

The leg doesn't dangle, she can move it, but she is not mobile and she can't defend herself against the other chickens and cannot dust bathe and there has been no improvement.

We separated her into a small cage so she could be immobile. She's still eating and drinking but I am looking at a quality of life because she is obviously still in discomfort even though I've been giving her main meds for the past month when she seems uncomfortable.

I am at a loss, there doesn't seem to be anything I can fix, an avian vet trip is out of the question. I am grasping at straws at this point to try and save my girl, but as it stands her quality of life is not good and I dont know what to do...

Please help my broken chicken!

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    She must have injured herself jumping or got trampled on by the rest? I'm sure someone with more expertise will be peeping in, a picture or video may help others with better knowledge injuries. It's not an easy decision but reaching out for advice is a good start. I'm not much help but understand your situation, I'd go with quality of life but that's me.

3. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    We are pretty sure she did it by jumping/flying off of something or we had a cockerel who was slightly bigger who may have trampled her, though hopefully someone can help us and we can save her :)

4. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    You could perhaps try a chicken sling and see if some time with the weight off the leg/foot helps. Just do a search for "chicken sling" and you will find posts with pictures. Best of luck.

5. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I'm not sure it would work since it's been so long with her holding it so long already but thanks for the advice :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by