Help for my silkie roosters!

jennibachbach83

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2020
I have 2 silkie roosters lethargic and not eating, trouble standing up, both over 2 years old. I have checked for lice and see no discharge. Just need to know what I can possibly do to try to save them. I have included pics of them and ones poo.

Attachments

• 20201014_175746.jpg
    20201014_175746.jpg
    714.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201014_175721.jpg
    20201014_175721.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201014_175652.jpg
    20201014_175652.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 8
I have 2 silkie roosters lethargic and not eating, trouble standing up, both over 2 years old. I have checked for lice and see no discharge. Just need to know what I can possibly do to try to save them. I have included pics of them and ones poo.
I'm sorry that both are not well.
Where are they normally housed?
What do you feed including treats?
Have you added any new birds recently?

For both of them to be sick at the same time - any chance they ate something molded, rotten or got into something toxic?

If possible taking a poop sample to your vet for a fecal float would be good.

I would try to get them hydrated. Get some Vitamin E (400IU) into them and then see if they will eat a bit of wet feed or scrambled eggs. Hydration is important, so focus on fluids first.

Check their crops - what do they feel like?
Have they been picked on by another bird or been in a fight?

One didn't make it. The one I'm more affectionate towards seems to be eating again. Have him separate where I can observe him. I feed them dumour crumbles with occasional mealworms and outside grass. Have given him chopped up garlic in his feed and an electrolyte for poultry. Not ruling out mites so should I treat him for that too in case? Thought maybe worms so also got safeguard for him.

One didn't make it. The one I'm more affectionate towards seems to be eating again. Have him separate where I can observe him. I feed them dumour crumbles with occasional mealworms and outside grass. Have given him chopped up garlic in his feed and an electrolyte for poultry. Not ruling out mites so should I treat him for that too in case? Thought maybe worms so also got safeguard for him.
You should be able to see the mites on him if they are part of the problem.
TSC has Permethrin based poultry spray or dust, you can use that to treat him for bugs.

Update that my other silkie, Puff passed away after a week of doing everything I could for him. Dusted him for mites as saw a couple on him that was few days ago. He was standing and walking slow and turned his head when trying to eat or drink. I don't know his exact age as he was full grown when got him in January 2018. I will miss his sweet demeanor.

Update that my other silkie, Puff passed away after a week of doing everything I could for him. Dusted him for mites as saw a couple on him that was few days ago. He was standing and walking slow and turned his head when trying to eat or drink. I don't know his exact age as he was full grown when got him in January 2018. I will miss his sweet demeanor.
:( I'm sorry to hear about Puff.

Back
Top Bottom