Help for my sole Surviving duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kelly D, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Kelly D

Kelly D Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    Utah
    Hello, I could use some advice please. We had a terrible/traumatic owl attack. The owl killed two of my 3 beloved ducks. My third duck seems ok physically. She does limp on one leg but even that has improved the last 3 days. However she won't quack, she eats very little (only romaine lettuce) and is just pooping water. She is drinking water and I've put vitamins in it. I have her in a large wire dog kennel inside so she can stay warm and be with family members who love her. I'm talking to her and holding her as much as possible. I found another duck on a classified add and brought her home, but she's in quarantine right now. So, now I just have two lonely sad ducks. I'm just so sad and I know she is so sad and I don't know how to help her. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. mysti30

mysti30 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2016
    I just had a dog attacked mine Thanksgiving morning. We had 8 ducks altogether and only found 4. Mine are limping and grieving. They just started back eating yesterday. The only advice that I know of is to just keep checking on them. I throw a little feed out for them daily and finally they are starting to come around. It just takes time when they are hurt.

3. mysti30

Nov 25, 2016
    Once they start feeling safe again they will start quacking again.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's very important to address the reasons for the attacks also, if an owl sounds like they were outside at night unprotected.It's always a good idea to have secure housing for our ducks/poultry. Night time is prime predator time and they are literally sitting ducks with out protection.. So sorry for your losses.

Dogs are right up there at the top of back yard Poultry predation list Whether ours or someone else, best to have really good fencing to try and keep them and all other preds from having access to our birds. sorry for your losses also.

5. Kelly D

Mar 30, 2016
    Utah
    Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so sorry about your ducks. She's actually doing a lot better today.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kelly D

Mar 30, 2016
    Utah

Unfortunately we were out of town and the people taking care of them didn't stick to protocol. If they had my animals would all be alive. Sadly it was just a terrible, preventable accident.

7. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    That's awful! I wold never speak to those people again(just me).
    Try to hang out with her if she likes you and maybe a mirror would help. It hard coz of the quarantine and all...
    very sorry for you, good luck

1 person likes this.
  8. ducky723

ducky723 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2016
    Birmingham Alabama
    Hi i have a question I'm on day 16 of incubation with 3 call duck eggs and I candled them today an one looks a little different from the others. I'm worried that he has died bc when I candled him I saw veins but only on the side facing me and it looked like a little blood streak was forming also. Also his air cell isn't as big as the other 2 and he's not as big as the others either. Help please

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am so sorry.[​IMG] Main reason I never go anywhere. Sad but true hard to find reliable care.

10. mysti30

Nov 25, 2016
    I'm glad she is doing better. Mine could have been prevented also by just a call but neighbors don't care. I'm just glad that the neighbor that has the dog is finally going to take care of the problem.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by