Help for my White Crested Black Polish

barbararose

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 9, 2007
Fremont, California
Hi: I'm new to this site. I have a very small backyard flock of hens. We bought 3 new chicks 5 weeks ago, a White Crested Black Polish, a Brahma and a Buff Orpington, all the same age. Last week the 2 other chicks started pecking the Polish and pulled out quite a few of his feathers from his head. I seperated them, cleaned and applied an antibiotic creme but the chick still doesn't
look to great and his head is very red. He doesn't appear to be in any discomfort. All my other chickens have been regular birds, Silver Lace Weindotts, Rhode Island Reds, Cochins. This is our first bird with a feathered plumage like this on his head and I am at a loss of what to do for him. Does anyone have any experience with this who could offer me some advice? thanks Barbara

be glad u acted when u did, polish work good with polish only... i put in polish when regular chickens and one wound updead. i had the same experiance. the best prevention is to keep em seperated.

i built a seperaste coop for bantams and polish only, and they get along just fine. polish are passive. or atleast the hens are.. if you cant seperate them, sell her... its better to have find her a new home than to have her dead.. i learned from the mistake.

=thats what we're here for.l i really hope it turns out the best and you get to keep her, polish, seswpecially this breed, are very beautiful..

may i ask, how did you introduce her to the flock? Gradually, or all at once?

I have 4 WCBP hens and 1 roo and they have a hard time seeing with the plummage and dont run well with the other chickens. I also had to move mine out when they got larger. They all did well while they were younger but when their feathers started changing and got fuller the problems began. I have mine in with the silkie bantums and they are doing good now with no problems. Got to find the least agressive and move them in there. Good luck

Quote:
Well, I bought the 3 chicks at 3 days old from the same feed store and he had them all together. The first 4 weeks they were all together under the light and were fine. It's just been this last week and a half that the trouble started. The man I bought them from said they would be fine all together. Go figure. Like I had mentioned, I have a small hen house in a city with a permit to keep just under 10 birds. Building a seperate structure might put me in violation but I love this little guy the most. What a friendly little chick. Thanks for all the advice. Barbara

Mine are very friendly also and maybe you could make a small cage like enclosure in the coop for it to stay that way the others wont pick on it...I have noticed that when around others when they do get bigger that they are shyer than the others and that is why I had to move mine so they could eat and not get their peathers picked out.
Just take some wire mesh and make a extension so she will be ok...also the feed store or where you bought it will tell you anything just to sell the chicks..I know been there, had that happen. some chickens just dont mix well with others as some are more agressive than others.

Quote:
I have just made arrangements for a pen to be seperated by mesh as you suggested. I love my little "Myra" and won't send her off unless it is absolutely necessary. I just bought 2 more Polish chicks and as soon as they are ready will incorporate them all together into a new coop. This way they will have a couple of friends to peck around with. thanks for your input. Barbara

Back
Top Bottom