Help for Scaly Leg Mites!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dncs with Chiks, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Dncs with Chiks

Dncs with Chiks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2014
    Fabulous, one of my girls has them bad enough to limp.I have started the Canola / Veggie oil treatment and their feet look better already, BUT what do I do with the nest area? Do I need to worry about the bedding? How often do I need to apply the treatment? I am thinking of cleaning the whole inside of their room, new straw and cedar chips all around including the 3 nests. What is the best / cheapest solution? When and how often do I do their coop?
    What about their food? Do I need to throw it out too?
    And where do they come from in the 1st place?

Thanks All

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    I have used Scalex on the chickens and the coops for sure. It has been very efficient, but careful with the chickens eyes. By the way I only had one chicken. I use pine chips only. I would do one treatment and give it a few weeks and keep checking for improvements. Food should be fine. These things come from wild bird sharing the same resources as your chickens, like the dirt where they bathe and such. It is out there and it is annoying, but normal to some extent. Good luck!

3. tinyschicken

tinyschicken New Egg

Jan 4, 2015
    I think I have scaly leg mites someone told me to soak there legs in gas and then put A and d ointment the first day the the ointment the 2nd and then repeat on the 3rd day has anyone do this r is it safe thanks

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I do not know what "gas " is...but a natural treatment is to soak their legs in a warm water and betadine solution....you can gently scrub any deposits from their legs during the soaking..using a soft toothbrush or any soft brush...partially dry the legs and liberally apply vaseline ...use in an upwards direction to where the feathers start on their legs...apply every few days...the treatment may take uo to eight weeks until the mites are eradicated,,,

As an aside..scaly leg mites can also affect the head area...a small amount of vaseline on the comb and face area is a good idea..it is also effective as a guard against frostbite on the combs....

1 person likes this.
  5. tinyschicken

tinyschicken New Egg

Jan 4, 2015
    Thanks so much I will try that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by