Help for Sunshine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by madewild928, Mar 29, 2017.

1. madewild928

madewild928 New Egg

May 10, 2016
    Hi backyard chicken goers! I fairly new, and find myself in a thought situation. Sunshine had an encounter with a dog. We were able to reach her in time before she became lunch. She only has one wound and that's on her head just behind her ears. And she is unable to lift her head or sit. She drinks but won't eat. My question is, is this a culling situation or does she have hope.
    (She did lay an egg, while laying on her side in this state)

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    How long ago? How are you managing her otherwise.
    Dog attacks can do significant internal injuries that leave no visible injuries. She's also suffering from shock.
    I'd put her in a dog crate with some food and water. Keep her warm and quiet for a few days. Not a cull decision at this point.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos?
    Does she have puncture wounds/bleeding about the head?

Flush any wounds with saline, diluted betadine or sterile water. Apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to her wounds. Dogs can do quite a bit of crushing damage, so time will tell how this plays out. Keep her in a calm quiet area and provide her with some poultry vitamins. Keep her hydrated. If she won't eat for the moment, don't force her at this point.

Give her some time to get over shock and see how she does. She may have other wounds as well - so when she seems "stable" check underneath her feathers carefully for any bruising or wounds.

Keep us posted.

4. madewild928

madewild928 New Egg

May 10, 2016
    [​IMG]Thanks for the responses. Sunshine seems to be doing better. I was able to check her body and found no other wounds. And the wounds on her head are healing nicely. But, now at day 5, she is unable to move head. It just remains in a turned position. And she is unable to sit or stand. She drinks plenty of water and will nibble soft fruits but will not eat actual feed.[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Poor dear. She must have suffered head or spinal injury. If she will drink, then you can try offer wet soupy feed to see if she will eat that. If she will nibble at soft foods you can also try some hard boiled egg. See that she has grit (crushed granite) available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by