Help for the heat

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jerseycoop, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I swear by the Mistand... A stand up mister. Sold at Home Depot for $10.00 it's been in the 100's here in NJ and I'd be lost without it. I spray down the run and leave it there (it stands up on its own) when I see the girls panting I mist each girl down..no more panting. It is worth every penny [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Do you have a picture of it? I need one too ! Its hot !

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Sounds like a great idea! [​IMG]

4. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Are you talking about this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

the Orbit Cobra Mistand ?

I think i may need to get one of these tomorrow. I lost a hen today and the only reason I can figure is the heat. She was fine this morning, 10am, but dead by 5pm - body intact. She was curled up in the corner of the coop with her eyes closed.

I turned a sprinkler on for the rest of the girls and they seems to appreciate it - it cooled them off to where they stopped panting. I just can't run the sprinkler full-time in the run or i'll have a muddy mess. This Cobra mister stand might be the solution.

Rest in peace Betsey. [​IMG]

5. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Awww sorry for your loss [​IMG] [​IMG] and yes that is it! Really saved my girls the last 2 brutal days! It was the best $10.00 I've ever spent

6. GatorChickenRanch

GatorChickenRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  7. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Hi Philman we meet again..lol Kichohana was so kind to post the link...trust me worth every penny!

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I've got two of those, one for the pen with my d'Uccles (who seem to mind the heat more than the other chickens), and one for the other pen. The pen with the d'Uccles has bamboo around it, and setting up one of these misters in the bamboo right next to the pen really seems to work magic. Even though this pen gets afternoon sun on its roof, the mister keeps it a good 5 - 7 degrees cooler than the temperature in the shade.

One other thing I've been doing for the girls is replacing the water in their waterers with refrigerated water at mid day. That seems to help, too.

Blech, this heat. I'm ready for fall!

9. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Me too elmo! Already planning my fall planting outside the run to block winter's wind. So done with summer [​IMG]

10. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Jerseycoop,
    Thanks for this post it really helped me ! I'm going to home depot today to get them . I'm also sure we'll meet again !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by