1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Found 5 birds laying on the ground

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MetalFarm, Apr 11, 2016.

1. MetalFarm

MetalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I found 4 live and 1 dead bird on the ground in my yard. The nest was next to them. They were pretty far from the nearest tree one of them was bloody and dead and covered in ants. The others are alive and moving and opening their mouths. They have dark feathers and bright yellow lips if you can call them lips. Eyes are not open. What kind of birds are they and is there any chance I can help?

I put them back in the nest and in the garage and under a heat lamp. They are moving a lot. My guess is this just happened before I found them. We had a wind storm today and now it's raining.

Should I feed them? What to feed them? Chick starter? Water?
    Lost cause?
    Thanks

2. MetalFarm

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The app won't let me upload pics from my phone

3. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    I'd call humane society to have them check on the birds. They may have been attacked and they need to know. Don't know types of birds.

4. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    Food? Perhaps chick feed for nourishment and see if they'd drink.

5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    You need to feed them electrolytes or best case Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri-Drench. No chick feed. Nutri-Drench is a wise choice by wildlife rehabbers. It does not need to be digested. Mainlines directly into the bloods stream. Tractor Supply or your tack store should have it. Smallest bottle. These babies are probably going to die. They need rehabbers. If anything saves them it will be a liquid supplement until you can get them to rehabbers. http://www.nutridrench.com
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  6. MetalFarm

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I already fed them chick starter. And water. I figured they're going to die. Will it happen over night? What's a rehabber?

7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    advice from pro wild bird rescues and rehabilitators ( rehabbers):
    Help! I found a bird!
    http://wildbirdrehab.org/help-ifoundabird/
    http://wildbirdrehab.org/
    Look around ion the net and find a wild bird rehabber or wildlife rehabber near you.
    Call them 1st thing tomorrow. Hopefully they will last until then.
    I know you are doing your best,
    Karen

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  8. MetalFarm

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    That place is in MO and closed. I'm in TN. I guess I should have put the nest in a tree and waited to see if mom came back. It's raining and dark and several hours later is it too late?

They're in the garage under a heat lamp with their mouths open. Hearts are pumping hard.

9. MetalFarm

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I found the local place they are also closed. Is there anything else I can do for the night instead of everything I already did wrong??

10. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you got an emergency vet nearby? Sometimes vets offices will have the numbers of rehabbers that they deal with from time to time. And if they don't have any numbers for local rehabbers they at least may be able to make suggestions. It is worth a try. From your description with the big yellow beak, I bet you found some starlings. If so, they are non-native and not a protected songbird. In my area rehabbers may or may not take in starlings if I am remembering correctly. If no vet to call my only suggestion (if you can't get the Nutri-Drench tonight) is to keep them hydrated. Are they actually drinking water? I guess not with closed eyes. Saturate a q-tip or clean piece of cotton and dribble a little water at the corner of their beaks. Never straight into their open beak as they could aspirate. Rehabbing birds is not easy and that is why most people turn birds over to rehabbers. I have kept birds alive until a rehabber could take over and if I were in your place I would grind up some worms and feed them with tweezers. That is what I would do and that may or may not be successful but at least it is something. In the morning if they are still alive, I would either turn them over to a rehabber or you might have luck setting the nest back up in the tree. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by