HELP! Found a dead chicken my coop today.

lorijohnson823

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 17, 2012
Calhoun, KY
I just started raising Silkie Chickens and I feel like I have had some bad luck. I got 3 pullets from a breeder. After a week, one pullet was pretty sick. Wasn't sure what was wrong with her, but we decided it was neurological. We put her down. Over a month later, I noticed one of my other pullets didn't seem as Peppy as she used to. As I picked her up and examined her, I noticed she had diarrhea all over her back end. It was all green diarrhea with a little mucus. No blood. I cleaned her up last night, and gave her a B12 shot. Today after I got off of work, my husband checked on her and she had died.

So the question is.....What should I do now? Both of my other pullets are fine. Very lively, running around pecking and preening. Tomorrow I plan on cleaning the coop out really well with bleach water, and put fresh pine shavings down everywhere.

I keep vitamins in their water at all times. Does anyone know what this could have been? Or what else I should do besides cleaning the coop extremely well? I would be very grateful for any advice.

I would suggest just keeping a close eye on your pullets and updating us if any weird behavior starts or if they too become weak. Make sure they are both getting enough to drink and eat along with makings sure they are not cold. As for what it could have been, I honestly don;t know. Just make sure you keep a close eye on the others ;) Sorry for your loss
QP

Thank you for your insight. My 2 other pullets (then I have 6 chicks separate in a brooder) are doing great. They are VERY active and pecking. I think I will definitley notice if something is wrong with one of them. They love pecking around the yard. My other little pullet wasn't too active from the start,but it was the last couple of days I noticed she wasn't doing much at all.

So today, the extreme cleaning begins. I will be going to Tractor Supply soon for supplies. I'll keep you posted if they start acting any differently.

So sorry for your losses
hugs.gif

If you lose another, send it in for necropsy. Most state labs will do them for free or a small fee. That way, you will know what you are dealing with. I don't want to upset you, but you might want to take a look at Marek's threads. Silkies are very susceptible and these two deaths sound suspicious to me...

Thank you so much. I have read and looked into Marek's disease. I just don't know for sure, if thats it. Most of the symptoms, my birds didn't have... but I guess anything is possible. I will do my best to clean our their coop today and see how it goes. I sure hope that its not the disease. Honestly, I am leaning more towards of coccidiosis. Atleast, I hope its that. It would be easy for me to treat.

I have been monitoring my chickens today. They have sneezed a few times. I am concerned that its influenza or Infectious Bronchitis. I know you can give an antibiotic to help with not getting anything else. Does anyone know what antibiotic I need to get?

Back
Top Bottom