HELP! found a hen with 'bulging' eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rkedmunds, May 11, 2010.

1. rkedmunds

rkedmunds New Egg

May 11, 2010
    Just found a hen with her eyes and surrounding area were swollen BAD. The area around the eyes was discolored. It was almost white, it wasn't red anymore. The eyes looked like they had popped. They were also crusted over.[​IMG]

2. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Photos are always helpful in a situation like this.

3. rkedmunds

rkedmunds New Egg

May 11, 2010
    Sorry, I can't take pics right now. Daughter borrowed camera. There's a post on here by "MsNibbles" titled " Help needed with possible eye infection! hope pic helps" that has a picture of what my hen looks like, except it's both eyes on my hen. Will the feed store sell me tetramyacin? I had some a few years ago for rabbits, but I can't find it anywhere.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  4. echo2006

echo2006 New Egg

May 10, 2010
    This is my first time posting something on BackYardChickens Forum. I just joined up in hopes to finding a solution to my turkey problem. I have 5 young toms and 2 hens. They are just starting to mate(not sure how old). One of the toms have come down with something. He is still eating but he has lost cordination, he walks like he has just learned how to walk. At times its like he has lost control of his feet. They will take him backwards and in circles. His face is a bit discolored and he gets around slower than the rest. The plan for these turkeys were that I would keep a tom and the 2 hens and put the rest in the freezer. My question is what could the problem be and should the sick bird be eaten? The rest of the turkeys are fine so its not a contagiuos thing. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by