1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Found broody young hen in the bushes with 17 eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newmommahen, Nov 2, 2011.

1. newmommahen

newmommahen New Egg

Aug 30, 2011
    I have a young buff orpington who I thought should have been laying by now but hadnt seen anything. I went lookin for her today and found her in the rosemary bush looking a little cranky. She sat there for over an hour and when she left it, I investigated the bush, I found 17 eggs. They are likely fertilized, because I have a rooster. What do you suggest I do with the eggs: any chance they are viable? They have been out in 40 degree weather overnight but the days have been warm 70 - 80. Should I just throw them away? And any suggestions on how to get Ethel to lay in the hen house like the other girls? Do I need to lock her up in there for a few hours per day?

Thanks for any advice
    New at this -

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    If she has been sitting on the eggs all the time, it is likely they are still viable.

If she hasn't, you've just discovered her secret stash. It explains why you haven't seen her laying---some of the other girls are probably laying in there too.

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    If I were you, I would put a dog crate over her (or something else to keep her safe), and see if they hatch....but if they do, she will be raising chicks instead of laying eggs...

4. effie

effie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    West(by god) Virginia
    She may not be broody at all-just laying her eggs in the bush. They will sit a long while when laying-an hour isn't abnormal for my girls. I would say she just is laying her eggs in the bush. I would lock her up in the coop for awhile. She will figure it out in short order. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by