Help!!! found cockatiel

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by ame, Sep 6, 2009.

1. ame

ame Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Oak Run
    I am already having a very strange day.
    This morning I was out harnessing up my pony to drive and a Cockatiel flew down and landed on my shoulder. now we haven't owed one for years, and live in a very rural area, so no clue where this bird came from. he (she?) seems very friendly, and people oriented, so its someones pet, but how far can they fly? have been calling the few neighbors we have, but this being a holiday weekend haven't actually gotten a hold of anyone.
    it seems hungry, but not in too bad shape, and of course we have no food for him (her? diffrance?) would wild bird seed hurt it?

Amie in Oak Run, CA

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Feed it the wild bird food and then get some cockateil food for it tomorrow. They can fly quite a distance. Watch the Lost & Found ads in the paper.

3. sweet tweets

sweet tweets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Regular wild seed - and perhaps a little human food - ours get pasta, plain, small piece of apple, broccoli, wheat bread or muffin, squash - and of course plenty of water.

4. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

If you have frozen mixed veggies thaw some and try that also a small piece of wheat bread toasted. NO LETTUCE OR AVACADO.

5. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    ohhh I hope you find the owner. [​IMG] If you don't will you keep s/he? [​IMG]

6. ame

ame Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Oak Run
    OH, probably. our last one died of old age a couple of years ago. the funny thing is that we JUST last weekend sold his cage. sigh figures.

Amie in Oak Run, CA

7. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    I seriously doubt you'll find the owner. There are several flocks of mixed parrots, keets, and other non native birds in CA because they escape or get turned loose. Check out craigslist for a cage.

8. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Lettuce is fine, it's cabbage you have to watch for. Wild bird seed sounds fine, budgie food will also work fine. Have you tried calling the vet, animal control, or the pound (if they are different, hehe)? Someone might have reported they're cockatiel missing.

9. ame

ame Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Oak Run
    I will if (we think it is a her) she is still with us on Tuesday, since everything is going to be closed today and tomorrow. we did notify the local store, which is an information station in this area (think old rural small town.) I am also getting some simple flyers made up to post, and have put simple found adds in all of the local websites/papers. she is so nice I am sure someone is missing her.

Amie in Oak Run, CA

10. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

Quote:I have always fed my birds coleslaw made with cabbage and no problems. It is specifically ICE BERG lettuce. It will cause severe diareah and possibly death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by