HELP!!! Found crushed egg hatching under broody- chick is alive PIC

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mothersin2ition, Aug 6, 2010.

1. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    I took the crushed egg (which had just pipped today) from mama hen and stuck her in my incubator- I just started incubating eggs day before yesterday. I put a wet sponge inside to up the humidity. Will this hurt the eggs that are on day 2? What should I do with the crushed egg? Poor baby is chirping away inside, The membrane is torn a little and there is a little bit of blood. Ack! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I found one just like that under one of my broody hens. The weird thing was, the other eggs under the hen were still a couple days away from being ready. My poor chic didn't make it (its was already gone) I too would like to know what causes that to happen

3. mothersin2ition

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    bump- anyone else?
    I wrapped the egg in a warm wet washcloth and baby is still chirping in there. The membrane was totally dried out so Im hoping the wet cloth will rehydrate it enough for him to get out. But Im really nervous and dont know what to do. Im worried the extra humidity might harm the other eggs?

4. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    OMG! Good luck with that baby chick! I wish I could help but all you can do right now is pray he makes it! Don't let the humidity get out of control. That happened on my last hatched. Nearly killed all of the chicks they made it but one of them died. It also killed all the other eggs in there(About 15)

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Maybe the mama hen stepped on it. Or maybe if he started to pip, she may have tried and helped him. I can't tell you what happened..But so far..Is he trying to get out?
    If he has been like this for a while you may have to help him out because he will not make it if he stays in that egg to long. [​IMG]

6. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    If it is the same still I would help. Get some tweezers, qtips, water and a warm light and go nice and slow.

7. mothersin2ition

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    Look what I found this morning!
    [​IMG]
    I am sure that wrapping the egg in that washcloth saved its life, the membrane was so dried out before, there was no way it could have gotten out.

And here is a pic I snapped of a curious onlooker [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hooray Im so excited he made it. Now I just have to decide when to return him to his mama. And sit here [​IMG] that I didnt mess up my current hatch by sticking him in there (for some reason, I had a big temp drop this morning after he hatched- down to 93 degrees [​IMG] )

8. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Thats great!! [​IMG] Congrats!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Go little chicky!!

9. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Congrats on the baby! I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as the extra humidity hurting your hatch since it was only around a days worth. Since you were still in the really early days, I think it would be better to do it the first few days in instead of later on. You'll have more days to adjust the humidity out of the eggs by drying the bator back down. Good luck on your other ones. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by