Help found day old duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sandy sea, Jul 6, 2011.

1. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    My daughter just brought home from work a very small baby duck. It is about the size of our week old chick. She took it home because a lady found it at a pond and did not know what to do with it. The lady said that there was another baby duck at the pond but it was already dead in the water. The lady said that she waited for the mother duck to return to it, but after 2hours the mother duck had not returned. The lady said that she had called animal control but, they said that they would have to put it down because they could care for it being so young. We have ducks but they are about two years old. Anyway this little duck is tiny. It is in our hose in a plastic tub . We gave it starter mesh with water added. Heat lanp to keep warm. It just ate some of the food off my daughter:s finger, and has now pooped, I quess that it is a good sign. Are the chances good? Should I check the local feed stores for another duck or chick for a buddy for the Duck?

2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    I would get another duckling for it. It sounds like it has a good chance. Do you know what breed it is. Any pictures?

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    First I would be sure if it is legal to keep....but yes, I would try to find a buddy for it.Maybe until then you have a stuffed animal to put in with it? I know some on here suggest that and a mirror so it feels like it is not alone. So nice of you guys to help it [​IMG] Would love to see a pic...what kind is it?

4. sandy sea

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    Legal or not ,we are trying to saving it. My daughter is taking a picture of it right now, will post soon. My guess it is a Mallard. We have two pekins and if the feed store has any baby duck will try to get another. How warm should we keep the baby?

5. sandy sea

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Omg...how cute! I would keep it at about 95, but always go by behavior myself versus actual temp...if they act cold...I make it warmer...if they stay really far away from the heat lamp I make it cooler.It does look to be a mallard...each week the temp goes down 5 degrees...

Between you an me? Legal or not,I would too [​IMG]

7. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Call a wildlife rehabber

8. carriej

carriej Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    aaaw so cute. one day a few years ago when my mom bought baby chk at the flea market she saw that the guy had one lonely baby duck left, she felt sorry for it and brought it home, she raised it with the baby chickens so it wouldnt be lonely anymore, lol for about a year the duck thought he was a chicken until she found more ducks to buy and they discovered the joys of the pond. [​IMG]

9. sandy sea

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    Quote:Thank you for the suggection. I checked on line for nearby rehab center for ducks, but was too late. I feel sad.

10. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Thank you for the suggection. I checked on line for nearby rehab center for ducks, but was too late. I feel sad.

Too late? Did it die?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by