Help found injured chicken think she has a tumor???

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DayDaySpenSpen, Mar 22, 2017.

1. DayDaySpenSpen

DayDaySpenSpen New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    I found a stray injured young chicken and i cant tell if this is her crop or not. It looks very irregular.[​IMG][/IMG]

2. DayDaySpenSpen

DayDaySpenSpen New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    I think her foot is broken too she can't stand or walk. I've been feeding her scrambled eggs and water from a dropper. Any other advice.[​IMG]

3. zephyricle

zephyricle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    Is it walking strange? Can you post a side view of the chick standing? It does look unusual for the chick of that age to have a bald spot there. If it's a tumor I'd recommend culling it (and if you can, turn it in to uc Davis for a biopsy since it was stranded)

4. DayDaySpenSpen

DayDaySpenSpen New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    I would if she stand up straight for more than a second. What is culling and is there nothing I can do if it is a tumor

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Culling means killing the bird. You might post the chicks symptoms and pictures in the following link for some medical advice: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures Hopefully someone there can assist you. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

6. zephyricle

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    Culling is letting the chick go. It's not easy to do for some people, but it could be what's best for the little thing. If it's this young wit a tumor of that size, it most likely won't make it. Especially with a broken foot. You can let nature run its course, or do it yourself. I'm sure there's a page on the site somewhere about how to cull your bird, but if you don't feel comfortable then just let it go on its own. Terribly sorry to have to say that though.it's just something that happens and it's unfortunate, but natural. :(

7. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Chillin' With My Peeps

To me it looks like her crop.
    And did you say "stray"?

8. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    That looks like the birds crop to me, if I am looking in the right place. Do you have other birds? If so, keep this one away from them. ''Stray'' birds can be decease vectors.

9. zephyricle

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    X2
    Like I said I can't tell from the pictures so it's pretty up for debate since I can't touch her myself.
    About the foot though, what do you think is wrong with it? What is she doing?

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If she has a broken leg, it needs to be set, or else will heal improperly. Could you take her to a vet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by