HELP!! Found My Chickens Dead in their Coop! :(

featheredlove

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
This morning I found one of my chickens and my alpha rooster on the ground of their chicken coop! I tried finding out what could have happened to them but I couldn't figure it out. There were no sign or symptoms pointing to sickness- the day before they were cheerful as ever and they hadn't lost any weight. So I tried looking for clues if any foul play was involved, but I couldn't find a scratch on them, no feathers plucked out, nothing. They showed no signs of poisoning either; as there face remained red and plump, and they ate sparingly. So I am completely stumped at this point. The only unusual thing is that their bodies are overwhelmingly stiff, which I've seen occur in poisoning- but again they had color on their faces. I'm really hoping you guys can help me out, any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced for all the comments, advise, info, and for your time.

Useful Info: Where I live the days have been hot, but has breezy afternoons. Our home is surrounded by nature, many animals come to visit such as ground squirrels, cranes, owls, hawks, mice, a skunk recently, and many other animals. They always have sufficient food a mix of scratch, mash, black oil sunflower seeds, and the occasional bugs they'd find and fruit from our trees. Our chickens are free-range and had 24 in all, all different ages.

The stiffness is just rigor and sets in a few hours after death. Could they have possibley become frightened during the night and broke their necks flying around in the dark? I hear of this happening once in awhile.....

The heat peaks at around 90°F, at most 100°F. It gets cool at night though.

We specifically checked their necks, but nothings wrong with them.

If their head-feathers were damp or looked like they had been wet then it could have been a snake. A snake killed my hen by putting his mouth around her head and biting her neck but idk if there are snakes where u live
tongue.png

@Louieandthecrew

Actually we do, there usually peaceful and rarely come near our house. One was caught in our neighbor's backyard and weighed 49 pounds!! Anyways, I don't think it was a snake; I didn't find their heads damp at all. Sorry, about your chicken.
sad.png

Does your coop have enough ventilation? If not it could have been heat related. Are there strong ammonia fumes? Could have been that. If it doesn't have strong ammonia fumes, it was likely heat related. Could you try a fan? Heat builds up inside the coop during the day and with no air flow, they could have just got too hot. Then again, that may not be it at all. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom