Help! Found this in nesting box

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jcvaughan, Jul 27, 2014.

1. jcvaughan

jcvaughan New Egg

Jul 27, 2014
    My daughter went out to collect eggs and found this instead. It's a hollow tube and has a bit of liquid in the bottom part. Is this a worm of some sort or an egg that didn't form correctly? Should I be concerned?

1 person likes this.
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Since you cant post a pic, I suspect it's a soft shell egg with the whites leaking from it. Keep an eye out for any of your hens acting lethargic or slacking off or stopped eating; she may be the hen that laid the soft shell and it's possible an internal bacterial infection may occur. Then it would be necessary to give her antibiotics. For now, just observe your flock for anything out of the ordinary.

3. jcvaughan

jcvaughan New Egg

Jul 27, 2014
    Thank you. It feels like paper with a little clear slim/egg whites around it. Not sure why I can't post the picture.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I think you have to have something like 10 posts (not sure how many) before you can post pics.

5. jcvaughan

jcvaughan New Egg

Jul 27, 2014
    Someone thought it was her oviduct that has fallen totally out. I'm new to keeping chickens, but is this even possible? My husband has been caring for them since I've been out of town for two weeks. We have 4 hens and have been getting 3-4 eggs every day but that has been the norm since we've gotten them a few months ago. All 4 go into the nest box thru the day so I'm not sure who is laying and who isn't. :(

6. emicr28

emicr28 New Egg

Jul 15, 2014
    Florida Hialeah
    Hi, I was just reading your post. I'm looking for information too. My chicken she's been having problems. I was hoping to see your picture because it sounds so familiar to what's happening to my chicken. Today she poop something that I can't name. Maybe about 2 weeks ago she poop something similar to what you are mentioning. I thought it was her intestine. I'm clueless seeking help as well. Today... again something a quarter size round mass and it had an opening and I could see blood in side that opening. She was trying to lay her egg but she's lacking calcium. I've given her calcium and Cod liver oil. Omega 3. What I'm trying to say is, you are not alone. If by chance you happen to find information can you please share with me thank you.
    Emily

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by