Help!! Fowl Cholera!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by massagechick, Jun 27, 2011.

1. massagechick

massagechick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    My 1 year old Standard Brahmas have started with this. Lost one hen before I could treat her, now her Roo and the 3 in the next pen have started. I have strated treament with Sulmet and Electrolite water and added sugar to keep their energy up. I may have caught it in time but the BIG queston is do I also treat my Chick? they are 9 weeks old (the Brahma) and 4 week old Turkeys? they are on medicated feed still, I was going to switch to broiler feed today, but decided not to considering the illnesses of the older ones. Anyone?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Medicated feed won't help with cholera. I would get them all on the antibiotics if they have had any contact with these birds. Even your hands and shoes can carry this disease around. So wash your hands and change your shoes in the chicken yard if you have any birds with cholera. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. massagechick

massagechick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    I do that now, Changing shoes(covers) at every pen, but I did add the Sulmet to all the pens. The Roo is hanging in and ate late this evening. We have him up by the House in an Isolaton tractor and feel depression maybe an issue now too because He lost his companion.

Thank you for replying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by