1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!!" Fox Attack" Open Wound need advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jaseg, Jul 4, 2007.

1. jaseg

jaseg Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2007
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I need a little help today. I had a fox jump on one of the turkeys while they were out ranging, and I was not far, -the fox is very bold-, (daytime too). Turkey got away after I gave chase to the fox, however, she has a open wound to her buttock and a patch of skin is missing about the size of a tennis ball in the area.

I took out the first aid kit and latex gloves and cleaned the area very well with alcohol, then applied Iodine. The bandage I applied didn't hold well so my Father is on his way to buy supplies. The wound is about an inch and a half long, very clean no bleeding, should I give her stiches? or would suture tape be ok? I'm worried about possible infection to the area, and the missing skin has me terrified. She is eating and Drinking water after the shock wore off.

Could anyone offer some sound advice?

thank you for your time,

Jason

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I would like to know that the turkey did when you applied alcohol??? I know what I would have done [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    Im sorry I cant offer advice, just had to say I know how you feel. My chook was attacked by a racoon this afternoon. It too came out during the day and went into the coop. I saw it drag my Topps under the coop, but have found her. Atleast your buddy is eating and drinking. I wish the best for him.

Shannon

4. jaseg

jaseg Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2007
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Turkey was fine, she was in shock when I applied it so I don't think she would have noticed then.

5. jaseg

jaseg Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2007
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I just read your post Shannon, I would try to clean the wounds if you can. I'm sorry about your incident too. I know it is a part of nature, but I feel as though it's my fault because I wasn't going to let them out because the fox got one of my leghorn layers monday evening. I thought because I was in the yard it would be ok.

6. KFC JOE

KFC JOE New Egg

Jul 4, 2007
    what time of year was it during these daylight attacks??????

7. Menagerie

Menagerie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My duck was torn open on the neck by my dog last year. I did take him to the vet and the vet used a wet bandage covered by a dry stretchy bandage that was changed every few days. The massive wound was at least as big as the one you are talking about and over weeks, months it heeled and the skin naturally came back together. I would say do not close the wound. The wet bandage had some sort of antibiotic on it and stuck to the wound and would pull out the ooze and infection onto the bandage. Then when changed the bad stuff was pulled off and new bandage re applied for a few days. I also gave him antibiotics by the mouth. Sounds like a hard spot to bandage. Good Luck!!

8. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    yes indeed on the alcohol > ouch [​IMG]
    you will need to flush thoroughly with a sterile saline solution (boil some salt in water for five minutes and cool) and flushing powerfully to removes any dirt particles etc. ... you can use a betadine flush also and then apply a triple antibiotic on it to keep it moist while healing... do keep searated and all scrupulously clean if possible to avoid infection. I have information specific to avian wounds and it might be helpful to you even though you may not be able to purchase the exact same topical meds and such they speak of:
    http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=practical&action=display&num=1158141893

9. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    How much salt to water?

10. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    if this were a human wound from a fox/dog you would most certainly NOT close the wound...it needs to heal from the base of the wound outwards to prevent a pocket of pus ( abscess) from forming...just keep irrigating it ( washing it out with clean water) frequently and keep it clean...it will heal on its own hopefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by