Help! Freedom Ranger Leg Problems

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by COOPhilly, Jul 22, 2010.

1. COOPhilly

COOPhilly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Flourtown PA
    I have a dozen 3-week old Freedom Rangers. They've been fine until last week when one girl wasn't able to walk. I isolated her and, after searching BYC forum, added a B vitamin complex to her drinking water. After a week she is back to walking again. She was always fine with eating, drinking and pooping.

Now today I notice that another chick has a leg that is malformed - it juts out to one side. She is getting around and seems to be happy but when I examine the leg and press gently on the joint she does seem agitated. Still, she's moving about and eating and drinking.

Up until today I've had lights on 24/7 and they've had access to food and water that whole time, although they don't eat 24/7. They are out on the grass during the day and inside on pine chips at night.

I added the B complex to the common drinking water. I sprinkled a calcium supplement on their food (it's calcium from small-shelled animals - I forget exactly what) and will start mixing that in on a regular basis. They get a broiler mash from my local organic farmer and it's what I've fed every single one of my chicks - layers and broilers, with great success.

This is the first set of Freedom Rangers I've had and am wondering where I've gone wrong. Help!

2. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    I just processed my first batch of Rangers this past week. I had one out of 30 who developed such a severe problem that he couldn't walk. Another had a limp but it got better. I called the hatchery, and they said to do what you did - add vitamins to the water, though they suggested a multivitamin. My birds were older when the problem showed, about 6 weeks old, but I should have added the vitamins about when you did.

They also suggested cutting the protein at about 6 or 7 weeks (if I remember correctly), down to about 18%. I did this by mixing 20 % starter with 15% grower/finisher, for an average protein of 17 1/2 %. I grew them out to 12 weeks, which was the suggestion when I ordered the chicks. They were huge, I should have processed at nine weeks. We just ate our first one last night, it was one of the middle sized ones and weighed 5 1/4 pounds, dressed weight.

You might call the hatchery (I got mine from JM) and get the specifics. My one that couldn't walk, I put in a dog crate in the chicken house and grew him out anyway. He didn't seem in pain, he just couldn't walk. He didn't eat well, I helped him balance at the feeder a few times a day, and he did grow, though he was more pullet-sized than roo-sized.

Anyway, it sounds like you're doing just what you should...but bear in mind, I'm no expert!

3. COOPhilly

COOPhilly Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Flourtown PA
    Thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll head out to Tractor Supply this weekend for vitamins and I have a lower protein mash I'll get ready for them in a few weeks.

I got mine at JM too. From what I've seen they are the only folks selling the Freedom Rangers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by