Help-- friend with a broody that ate an egg on day 18!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DouglasPeeps, Apr 10, 2009.

1. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I am posting this for a friend of mine.

She has a broody (Black Australorp) that is setting on 9 eggs. Today is day 18. She went out to check on her today and noticed her picking on something. So she moved her broody and found that there was a chick - fully developed in the nest. The shell looked like is was smashed rather than it would if a chick had hatched. The mama hen was eating the yolk sack and the egg shell. She chick was warm, but dead. She tried to revive it, but it was dead. It was obvious that this just happened a few minutes before. After my friend removed the egg shell, yolk, and chick the mama hen sat right back down and resumed setting. What could have happened? Any suggestions?

2. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    Something was probably wrong with the chick. The mama hens seem to be able to tell these things. [​IMG]

3. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:I do think mama hens can sense these things, but in my experience they just move the egg away or walk away from the nest. [​IMG]

4. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Maybe she accidentally broke the egg and was "cleaning" up but didn't mean to hurt the baby or egg itself ???

5. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:That is exactly what I was thinking and said so to my friend. I hope that is it. Thanks!

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Hens seem to know when something isn't right and often they do eat those eggs.

7. DouglasPeeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Yikes! Thanks for the information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by