Help from someone in sexing salmon faverolles?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by james hill, Oct 22, 2012.

1. james hill

james hill Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    Rural Louisiana
    I know you are supposed to be able to tell the sex of salmon faverolle chicks by wing color/pattern. Could someone help me with it? I am thinking male, possibly female, female, female in order of the pics. These are hatchery chicks. (Sorry for the picture quality...I can try for better if needed).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    It helps to see the entire bird as on Faverolles the breast color and overall body color come into play too not just the wing color.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You'll have to wait until they start to get body feathers. Some of the hatchery pullets can be dark, and some of the males can be light, so it's not as easy to tell by the wing feathers.

5. james hill

Sep 24, 2012
    Rural Louisiana
    Now that my faverolle chicks are a week older, I can see what you mean about the body color coming in. Two of the four are definitely female, and one is definitely male. One remains a mystery to me for now...its feathers are lacy looking, with both salmon and grayish-black. Will try to post a pic tomorrow (when I try out the DIY lightbox I am building to use for my chicken photography!).

6. james hill

Sep 24, 2012
    Rural Louisiana
    Here is a picture of the mystery-sex faverolle chick. To me, it looks more like an EAGLE than anything! LOL. So what do you think--male or female?

[​IMG]

7. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I know that sometimes Hatchery Fav Pullets have dark "male-like" coloring, but it is usually on the beard and neck/breast. With that many dark feathers everywhere on his/her body I'm going to guess that you have a cockerel. I would keep it for a at least a couple weeks longer just to be sure though [​IMG]

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    That's a cockerel.

9. james hill

Sep 24, 2012
    Rural Louisiana
    Yep, that was what I thought. That makes two of my remaining four cockerels. Drat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by