Help! Frostbite on hens comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrskenmore, Jan 16, 2015.

1. mrskenmore

mrskenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Hi All,

I noticed today when letting my girls out this afternoon that my BLS Jolene had two white spots on the top of her comb. They almost look like blisters without the liquid in them. They have plenty of ventilation at the front of there coop and a wind screen in their run. It has been so cold and windy here lately that I fear that this happened (windburn-frostbite?) while being in the run or outdoors. She has an unusually large comb that flops over a little bit. The blisters are only on the top of the comb that faces up when it flops. Everything else looks okay. See attached photo- does this look like frostbite? And if so- is it healable? I would hate it if it doesn't since she has such a beautiful big comb that adds to her larger than life personality. Also- how do I treat it if it is frostbite? So far from what I have read this is what I have done I cleaned the area GENTLY with mild water to clean it and then sprayed the heck out of it with vetericyn. I covered the rest of the comb (not the affected area) with vaseline along with her wattles, let the vetericyn dry a little and sent her out in the coop. I also did the rest of the girls combs and wattles in vaseline too. Thanks for any and all help!

[​IMG]
    her comb today with blisters

[​IMG]
    how her comb usually lays- this photo was taken about 6 days ago...
    [​IMG]
    another shot of how it typically looks taken 6 days ago

2. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Get nice war water (well hot but not burning) and pour it on her comb.
    Keep in mind she may not like it.
    Does she look uncompterble?
    Let her sit on a towel in your house.
    Keep her warm.
    Write back and good luck.

3. mrskenmore

Apr 21, 2014
    Thank you- I was able to do the warm water part earlier- and had her in the house for a bit- but after everything was dry I put her back in her coop- the temp out there right now is 36 degrees with 37% humidity.. The outside temp right now is 30 degrees with 35% humidity.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It doesn't look that serious. They usually don't require a lot of care like that, but the Vetericyn or plain antibiotics ointment would be enough. It may heal, but sometimes the tips will be rounded off. Time will tell. You may want to cover some of your ventilation windows up leaving a space at the top, to cut down on some of the cold air coming in. The ventilation high up should allow the moisture to get out. Here is a good link or two to read about frostbite:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/12/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2013/01/frostbite-and-backyard-chickens.html

5. mrskenmore

Apr 21, 2014
    Thanks- I really worked very hard on adequate ventilation for the coop... [​IMG]

could she have gotten it from being outside? Also- should I apply the Vetericyn daily to the area? It is going to be 0 to 5 degrees with the windchill tomorrow.

Thanks for everyones help!

6. mrskenmore

Apr 21, 2014
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Vetericyn can be used 2-3 times a day, but since I haven't used it, I might worry about getting the comb wet in zero temperatures. Wet plus cold equals frostbite. Neosporin (plain) ointment might be a better alternative.

8. mrskenmore

Apr 21, 2014
    That's what I was thinking too- I will use neosporin tomorrow

9. ChickenLady100

ChickenLady100 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    North Carolina
    On my girls there is just white stuff. The temps are well below freezing and I am a little scared about frostbite!![​IMG]

10. mrskenmore

Apr 21, 2014
    can you get a picture? My girls comb blistered up and then healed. I put up a wind screen in the run because there coop is draft free so she must have gotten it there. It was 3 degrees here this morning and everyone is doing well- vaseline, petroleum jelly and bag balm all work well too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by