Help! Frostbite taking over my hens feet

Pics

Emilyrose974

Chirping
Jan 6, 2022
Weather has been in the -30° c lately and unfortunately my young hen got frostbite on her feet. She’s been inside for about 2 weeks now and things are getting worse. It started off as red blisters on her feet and legs, then after a week I noticed one of her feet were turning black and starting to curl. Now that foots toes are all black and no longer work, they are all bent into a ball. I had hope for her other leg but now the tips of those toes are turning black. I need advice on what to do. She doesn’t seem lethargic, she eats and drinks normally and attempts to hobble around.

Attachments

• 532D97C2-5E6E-4CE3-A110-BDCCD0FD534C.jpeg
    532D97C2-5E6E-4CE3-A110-BDCCD0FD534C.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 29
Could you please repost the photo, this time selecting full-size when you click on "insert"? It will allow us to zoom in for better detail than thumbnail size.

What is your location? We can look up your weather to inform us of your climate conditions, and it will help us help you help this hen.

Frost bite damage usually kills off tissue, and that tissue will blacken, dry up, and the tips most damaged will fall off. Do not touch, rub, or put anything on the damaged tissue. Keep from freezing further by preventing exposure to below freezing temps.

Back
Top Bottom