help!!! frostbitten combs!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stepfarms, Mar 24, 2013.

1. stepfarms

stepfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Illinois
    ill start off by saying i just started chicken farming and need some information. i bought all my chickens at an auction and my rooster has frostbite on his comb. i diddnt know it and diddnt find out until today and need to know what to do aout it. i heard that they are infertle when their comb is frostbitten and im wondering if that is a myth. i also have a hen with a frostbitten comb. i need to know will it go away if it will by itslef if i need to get medication or anything how it affects them and anymore information you have on the subject. i would also like to know how to prevent it because this summer i want to raise chicks and cant do it if he is infertle, thanks

-stepfarms

2. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    The other end of the rooster needs frostbite for that to happen...;-)

3. etammy

etammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Don't know about having frostbite on the comb causing infertility problems and if it did I would expect it to be temporary. Frosbite looks like dark spots on the comb and waddles. I have read that if you put vaseline on the comb it helps to protect the comb from frostbite. But the best thing to do ios provide them with a coop that is safe and free of moisture and no direct breezes touching the chickens in the winter. I think what you may mean is that you can tell if they are fertile by how the comb looks, which would be red.

4. stepfarms

Mar 24, 2013
    Illinois
    thanks you two that solves some of my chicken problems and im glad to know my rooster is healthy enough to make a new generation. im glad that you helped me and my rooster is too. :)

5. stepfarms

Mar 24, 2013
    Illinois
    im sorry like i said im new to byc and i forgot how to start a thread, any help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by