help!!! frostbitten combs!!!!!

stepfarms

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
Illinois
ill start off by saying i just started chicken farming and need some information. i bought all my chickens at an auction and my rooster has frostbite on his comb. i diddnt know it and diddnt find out until today and need to know what to do aout it. i heard that they are infertle when their comb is frostbitten and im wondering if that is a myth. i also have a hen with a frostbitten comb. i need to know will it go away if it will by itslef if i need to get medication or anything how it affects them and anymore information you have on the subject. i would also like to know how to prevent it because this summer i want to raise chicks and cant do it if he is infertle, thanks

-stepfarms

Don't know about having frostbite on the comb causing infertility problems and if it did I would expect it to be temporary. Frosbite looks like dark spots on the comb and waddles. I have read that if you put vaseline on the comb it helps to protect the comb from frostbite. But the best thing to do ios provide them with a coop that is safe and free of moisture and no direct breezes touching the chickens in the winter. I think what you may mean is that you can tell if they are fertile by how the comb looks, which would be red.

thanks you two that solves some of my chicken problems and im glad to know my rooster is healthy enough to make a new generation. im glad that you helped me and my rooster is too. :)

Back
Top Bottom